Bathroom vent pipe in stone block house

Old 09-22-15, 09:51 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom vent pipe in stone block house

My house is constructed of two exterior walls. The interior wall looks like cinder block, and the exterior is a large stone block.

Years ago, somebody put an aluminum bathroom vent pipe through the walls to vent the first floor bathroom.

Whatever product they used to patch and fill in around the pipe, on the exterior and the interior, is soft and crumbling. I can't tell if its moisture related or what, but it looks like it was a type of concrete or mortar.

My question is: what to do?

Clean out the existing soft stuff and repack with something else? Do I need to caulk?

Thanks.

Old 09-22-15, 11:23 AM
E
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
This is an air duct right, not plumbing ventilation?

Either way it sounds like a sloppy job with a bad mix. How bad is the crumbling, how soft is soft? Is it the whole section evenly or does the moisture seem to be coming from around the pipe? Is there a space between the two walls? If its coming from around the pipe it could either be from water entering from outside and traveling along the pipe or it could just be from the fact that there is an extreme heat difference between the pipe and the surrounding material.

Old 09-22-15, 12:50 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Correct, this is an air duct from the bathroom fan.

It's very soft. I can scrape it out with a screwdriver. I'm actually not even sure it's a type of concrete. Possibly a sandy type of puddy?

The material is coming out entirely, not just around the pipe. I'm able to get to edge of the solid stone block, so I think the entire patch job failed.

I think there is a space around the pipe, but it's not very large. Looks like somebody stuck insulation in there.

It's possible that rain fell onto the pipe and traveled along it back inside. So going forward I'll shield it somehow.

Next step, patching the hole? It's about a 3" hole for a 2" pipe. Approximately 1" or 1.5" of annular space around the pipe. What do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: