can i easily cover concrete steps, walkways with thin pavers or flagstone

Old 09-28-15, 11:02 PM
can i easily cover concrete steps, walkways with thin pavers or flagstone

im having a hard time finding definitive DIY info about this topic.

my entrance way has concrete slab step and walkway. is there a thin (maybe 1/2 inch to 1 inch total thickness) hard material I can adhere to these surfaces?

i see some houses with what looks like 12" square 'flagstone' tiles. maybe 1/3inch thick. maybe they are glued or mortered in place? Ideally , i would prefer the look of random flagstones, not squares.

any suggestions appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-15, 03:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Help us to see what you see by posting a picture or two of the steps. There may be a solution. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 09-29-15, 07:20 AM
Group Moderator
What is your climate? Something on top may have a better life if freezing is not a concern but if you do get freezing temperatures getting tile or stone to stick for years can prove difficult.

Old 09-29-15, 11:31 AM
you could look into various kinds of "mosaic" tile, or some kinds of specialty tile which are built to fit together without square edges. Assuming there's no climate issue, use thinset mortar to attach those to the poured concrete, but make sure the concrete is clean of any coatings, paint, or dirt before starting.

If your walkway is cracked or heaved, or if there are any large-rooted shrubs/trees nearby which might cause problems, it might be more advisable to remove the concrete and lay in actual pavers (a walkway shouldn't require as much base as a patio or driveway), although that's a lot more work to accomplish.

Old 09-29-15, 12:02 PM
additional info re: my concrete steps/walkway

I live in Northern California. it is rare but not impossible to hit freezing temperatures here...

Q1. I am trying to upload pictures but getting a 'failure ' error with no description (jpeg file is 3MB) . is there a size limit ?

in the front of the house there is old fashioned 'pebble concrete walk' . I am planning on having this dug out and replaced with pavers. but the inside courtyard has the typical concrete walkway and slab step in front of door. this concrete is all in good shape and thus i want to 'cover it' rather than dig it all out.

Q2. where do i find the tiles/flagstone for this type of application? Im hoping that 1/2" material is available so that with the thinset mortar underneath.. the total surface will only raise up about 1 inch. will the thinset mortar hold the tiles on the vertical sides of the steps as well?

Q3. another issue i have is that i want to extend this new 'surface' for a few square feet where is the currently no concrete.... so here do i have to pour new concrete and 'tie it in' to current or can i put down base rock/sand/etc to bring it up to the adjacent old concrete and then apply the new tiles/thinset on top of everything?

thx!

Old 09-29-15, 12:19 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, there is a size limit. I don't remember what it is but most phones default size is too large. I usually cut the size to get them to less than half a meg. If for no other reason then less data on my cellular plan.

Old 09-29-15, 12:48 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Upload pics to photobucket.com if nothing else works.

I've used a mortar mix with a bonding agent to cover the stoop. There are mixes for under 2" & over 2".

Old 09-29-15, 04:39 PM
Box stores (HD, Lowes) should have some options for the kind of tile you'd need. Most stone/tile dealers will have a much better selection (and probably better quality as well) and would also know what kind of mortar is appropriate for the local climate. Whatever is workable in your area should work fine for the step faces as well as the treads (it's possible to tile a shower/bath wall, after all).

As far as extending the area, I can't see any way that laying a base of sand/rock would work with tiles under 1" thick; you could put a ring of pavers or step-stones along the edges of the existing concrete, but there'd be no way around having a straight seam at the transition.

You'd need concrete underneath to put tile down, but what'd be involved in making a workable extension to the existing patch is out of my depth.

If you want an irregular final perimeter, I'd probably go with tearing up the concrete and laying in pavers (at least that's what I'd do to get that result with my house).