Fresh air vents for crawl space in foundation wall

Old 09-29-15, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fresh air vents for crawl space in foundation wall

Hi everyone,
I need some help with the crawl space vents in our modular home. The builder who built our house left MUCH to be desired in many areas!
One specific flaw was that the space he left for the fresh air vents on the walls of the foundation are MUCH too large for the actual size of the aluminum vents. The vents actually just fall in the crawl space because they are just loose in the hole. We have been temporarily getting by with pieces of cardboard as a wedge to hold the vents in...we need a permanent solution! Last winter a vent fell in and I assume a cat spent the winter under the house!!
I was thinking of using hydraulic cement to permanently fasten the vents to the foundation since it sets up very quickly. Would that be a sound idea?
What other options do I have to secure the vents? I was also thinking of using the low expanding spray foam, would that be better?

Thank you everyone,
Zack

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-15, 04:50 PM
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
Post a picture.
I hate those aluminum vents, they stick, break, do not allow enough air flow.
I'd replace them with automatic opening vents.
https://www.google.com/search?q=auto...t4FScnLMnQM%3A
A simple fix would be to use a piece of 1 X pressure treated wood as a shim Tap-Coned to the block.

Old 09-30-15, 03:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
What type of foundation do you have? pics might be useful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 09-30-15, 07:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
What insulating was done under there? Typically, in an area where heat is required more than AC (which I think would be the case in NJ), the crawlspace walls are insulated and the house is sealed to the outside and opened to the conditioned air of the house. Vented crawlspaces, such as you are describing, tend to be the norm further south (and then the ceiling of the crawlspace is insulated).

Old 09-30-15, 07:56 AM
What size are the holes? The actual dimensions? What is the foundation constructed of?

Old 10-01-15, 07:29 PM
Well the house is at the NJ shore. The house is not used much in the winter, and we usually keep the forced ht air heat on 52.

Old 10-01-15, 07:32 PM
Here are the picture. Also can you elaborate on the electric vents? I guess I should replace the vents regardless at this point. Name:  vent 1.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  30.8 KBName:  vent 2.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  36.5 KB

Old 10-02-15, 02:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How long ago was the house built? that should have been fixed from the get go

I'd either rip wood to take up the slack or build it up with mortar or hydraulic cement.

Old 10-02-15, 02:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The pictures Joe linked to is what you need. However, up north y'all are inclined to seal up crawl spaces,so you have a choice to make there. The vents are readily available at the box stores and are not that expensive. Do get the automatic ones, as they open and close with the changes in temperature.

Old 10-02-15, 06:33 AM
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
Those look like the wrong style vent for that application.

Old 10-02-15, 06:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I replaced a broken vent on the back of my house with that type and it's the same size as the older ones. Not sure where you'd get a larger one as the ones I've dealt with were all basically the same size.

Old 10-02-15, 01:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Foundation vents are roughly 8" x 16" to fit a standard concrete block opening. The ones mentioned have an adequate flange and pressure holding system to fit loosely laid block.