Exposed Aggregate Sidewalk

Old 04-06-01, 12:32 PM
misraels
Visiting Guest
I have ready many threads about how difficult it can be to do exposed aggreagate and saw many comments about the easier way is to use a cement/aggregate mix.

I am looking at a 28 x 3 sidewalk, about 1 yard at 3 1/2 inches thick. I have called my local cement mixer and they have an exposed aggregate mix and it is the same cost as regular cement mix.

My question is can this be right? and how is it applied differently than cement and aggregate stones? why is it easier?

What has to be done after it is poured?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-01, 08:49 PM
Accept the suppliers quote as fact. Exposed aggregate mix is placed and handled like standard concrete. This is the answer to "easier". The difference is after an initial set time the surface layer is washed off an exposed aggregate mix to expose the aggregate and finishing steps form a protective skin on regular concrete.

The aggregate used in an exposed aggregate mix is set by the batch plant. Ask, and they will show you the aggregate they use. If you want a different aggregate your choices are:

1. Order an exposed aggregate mix with the desired aggregate. The cost of this mix will be higher than the batch plants standard aggregate.
2. Order a topping mix. Essentiality this is the same as one, but topping mixes are used in two course work. An 1 1/2"- 2" layer of topping mix is poured over a standard concrete base.
3. Hand seeding. This requires skill. Judgement is one factor, technique is the other. It is not difficult to
pour concrete on the ground; scatter rocks across the surface and embed them, or wash the surface layer off. Those actions are childs play. The difficultly is in knowing when to do what, and how to do it, under various conditions so that the finished product looks like it should and the concrete durable.