Hanging heavy mirrors onto old (~100 years) masonry

Old 11-14-15, 11:07 AM
Hanging heavy mirrors onto old (~100 years) masonry

Hi guys,

I'm be helping a local gym replace some broken mirrors (red = the broken mirrors, white = the new, replacement mirrors). Sometimes, people fly into the mirrors during a training session, then the mirrors sacrifice themselves to the MMA gods.

But, the masonry is old- around 100 years. What type of mirror clamps and masonry screws would be best for this type of brick/mortar? Better yet- does old mortar like this merit any special treatment/fixtures? Because the new mirrors are super heavy.

A closer look:

I just want to make sure that whatever mirrors I put up, stay up!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-15, 12:18 PM
What do the installation instructions with the new mirrors suggest? If the new mirrors are glass, I am sure they are flatter than the wall. Unless you want the mirror to break the first time someone hits it, you will need to provide a flat support between the mirror and the wall. Assuming the mirror has provisions for securing to the wall, I would use 1&1/2 inch plastic expanding anchors installed in the brick, especially at the bottom where the shear force is the greatest. Use the correct diameter screw and a length to go through the 1&1/2 inch anchor.Make sure there iare enough screws at the bottom to support the weight of the mirror.
Mirror, mirror on the wall.................::::::

Old 11-15-15, 06:12 AM
Hi beelzebob,

The mirrors don't have any installation instructions! They were bought secondhand from a nearby business that closed down. So, we have to start from scratch and get our own hanging hardware.

Old 11-15-15, 07:21 AM
I did a bit of mirror work years ago. Installation was done with a full length aluminum J channel on bottom and the mirror was adhered to the wall with clear silicone. This was on the advice of the glazier I got the mirrors from. You have a different situation with a brick wall, you can't use flat headed nails hidden behind the glass to attach the channel. I would use a full length wooden ledger along the bottom with a rabbit to accept the mirror. In fact, you might want a complete picture frame all the way around. If you silicone the glass to the wall, you won't have to worry too much about relying on the screws to hold it up. I would be careful that the mirror does not actually touch any high points on the brick. It will will flex a bit if it takes an occasional light hit if it has space behind or is adhered with silicone. Another advantage to adhering it with silicone. if it does break, you won't have large shards falling down.

Old 11-15-15, 07:37 AM
To avoid breakage in the future why not install a Plexiglas cover over the mirrors. Using stanchion or spacers to leave about a 1/4" between the mirror and the plexi?

Old 11-15-15, 01:23 PM
i can see not everyone's takin' a nap in here