Sand inside concrete steps

Old 11-19-15, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sand inside concrete steps

Over the weekend termite damage was discovered in my house. We've since had the termites treated and now must begin to repair the damages. The damage was located in a basement closet that is located behind our front concrete steps. It seems there was a plywood board between the stairs and the house that was destroyed by the termites. In that area, where pipes come into the house, there is currently a layer of insulation and behind that (where the stairs are) is all sand. It was suggested that the stairs might need to be removed to repair the damage. I'm hoping this might be more common than I know. I'm wondering what my next steps should be. I don't plan to attempt to repair it myself, I'm just wondering what I should expect a contractor to suggest. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-15, 12:08 PM
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
Need a picture.
Sure sounds like one of the most common building 101 mistakes commonly done by DIY's and Pro's alike.

Old 11-20-15, 11:06 AM
Tried to capture it as best I could.

Attached Images  
Old 11-22-15, 09:10 AM
There is no way to repair that short of taking out the stairs and basically starting from scratch. There is no way that sand should've been in direct contact with the wooden structure. The moisture from the sand would've destroyed the wood if the termites hadn't done it 1st!