Old brick wall - hang coat rack with minimum impact

Old 11-27-15, 05:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old brick wall - hang coat rack with minimum impact

1. I live in a townhouse with a ~100 year old exposed brick wall by the door. I rent and the owner has done a lot to touch up this wall and will not be happy if I do anything that causes a lot of impact.
2. But I want to hang a large (50 lb or so) piece of wood on it for a coat rack. Obviously once it has coats on it it will weigh even more.
3. The wall has a number of holes in it. Usually, they are places where most of the mortar is missing between two bricks, and in some cases part of the brick as well. The owner has not filled these in, I suspect because they don't want new mortar contrasting with the existing mortar.
4. What I'd really like to know is if there is any good way I could use these already existing holes to hang the coat rack, in such a way that when I move out, I could take it all out and leave the wall more or less the way it is.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-15, 06:00 AM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Why take a chance, Read your rental contract. It could be grounds for eviction and paying to have the whole exposed brick wall in the apartment refurbished.
Buy self standing coat hangers.

Old 11-27-15, 06:22 AM
I have a pretty good relationship with the apt manager (just one guy, not a big complex) and I think he would agree to any reasonable suggestion, but he might not think that drilling bolts into the bricks counts. I'm not going to do anything without running it by him first.

Old 11-27-15, 06:46 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If there are any spaces where the mortar is missing completely to the back of the bricks, you could try these: Shop TOGGLER 2-Pack 3/16-in x 2-1/2-in Toggle Bolts at Lowes.com

Description isn't great, but the plastic straps allow you to slide the toggle in lengthwise and then flip it behind the brick. Then the plastic straps are cut flush with the wall leaving a strong threaded mount. Yet it can be completely removed when desired (except the toggle part that falls into the wall).

If that won't work, they I'd ask if you can drill a hole back behind some of the missing mortar and use these: Strong-Tie Expansion Anchor, Lead, 1/4-20, Pk100 ESA25-G100 | Zoro.com

If they are set back in the mortar joint, they will be invisible once the bolt is removed.

Old 11-27-15, 08:11 AM
why not just drill some holes, insert lead shields for lags, & hang your coat rack ? when you leave, take rack down & patch the holes

Old 11-27-15, 01:57 PM
Making sure, of course, that your new mortar perfectly matches (in color and texture) the 100-year old mortar that's there now.

You'd save yourself a lot of grief, time and money if you just buy a free-standing coat rack. You can take it with you when you leave without touching the wall.