Advice for drilling & mounting into cinderblock wall

Old 01-06-16, 01:26 PM
Advice for drilling & mounting into cinderblock wall

Hello all. It never seems to let up at my new place. Now the insurance company wants me to install a railing around some sixty feet of what used to be a loading dock. Converted some ten years ago to a private home after 60 years commercial use. I bought it last November and now, it seems, a railing is necessary

OK, so Home Depot sells pre-fabbed treated railing in 6' lengths for $33. My plan is to mount 4x4 treated posts from the ground up to the face of the three foot high stucco covered cinderblock wall around the dock. They'd go up three feet above the top so I can mount the railing at the prescribed 36" height off the dock floor. That lets me use six foot posts with no waste.

So my question is, what is the best way to secure these 4x4 posts to the face of the wall. Has to be strong. Code calls for the railing to withstand 200 pounds of force in any direction.

Please be specific on type of bolts, lags devices, etc. Not a pro at this.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-16, 01:40 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I would force the insurance company to tell you what's acceptable or talk to another insurance company. You certainly don't want to install the railing & then they tell you that it isn't acceptable. Throw it back in their face.

Old 01-06-16, 01:53 PM
Group Moderator
In addition to Pulpo's advice, I would check with the local AHJ on this, since they might chime in later. You mention code, so my apologies if you have already done this.

Old 01-06-16, 02:12 PM
Waiting on Nationwide to get back to me but I have a hunch they will tell me if it meets local code they will accept it.

Code (national) says 36" off the deck, 200 pounds in any direction, less than 4" between the bars so baby Jane cannot get her head stuck. The pre-fabbed meet all this so my reason for going that way. I figure it will cost me around $500 plus the hardware needed to mount the posts.

It will surely mess me up in terms of my accessing the area. I will have to provide some way of easily removing a section here and there so I can use it the way I had intended to.

Old 01-06-16, 02:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure how your house is set up but they might be ok with you just 'fencing off' the section between the entrance to the living quarters and the loading dock area.

Old 01-06-16, 02:23 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The code is pretty much the same, in most places. Call Travelers or another company. They may not require a railing.

Old 01-07-16, 08:35 AM
I'll look into my options but if we can get back to my reason for this posting, please. How to mount the 4 x 4 posts to the wall?

Here is a pic of part of the loading dock.

Name:  wallwide.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  42.1 KB

Here it is close up. Appears to be made up of rows of 4" high brick. Hard to see where each connects to the other horizontally. I see no obvious cement between them like red brick I'm familiar with. Clearly not standard size cinder block like the rest of the structure is composed of.

What am I dealing with?

Name:  wallcu.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  43.2 KB

Old 01-07-16, 09:55 AM
No ones there with you Mike. If It was me I would explore with a hammer drill and good bit. From here it looks like it was poured and painted with maybe boards for forms.

Old 01-07-16, 03:52 PM
Temporarily Suspended
May I suggest 12' tall 4x4 posts? Just sink them into the ground, to the frost line.

Old 01-26-16, 03:03 PM
if its block OR brick, thru-bolting w/redi-rod's the best solution impo

Old 01-27-16, 05:27 AM
Why can't you just provide a rail type fence or gate between the post on the dock itself?

Old 01-27-16, 09:20 AM
As previously mentioned, the dock's walls are composed of CIP concrete, not cinderblock or brick. Making the post installation easier and possibly cheaper. But why not attach the prefabbed railing sections directly to the existing steel columns, and forget about the posts?

Regarding access, install a gate or two where necessary at normal entry point(s).