leaking at basement patio door and one window

Old 01-10-16, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
leaking at basement patio door and one window

Masonry outside walls and wood structure. Basement has concrete walls. Only the door and a window face south east have problem. Other three windows face north east no problem. Only when it rains heavily, and the wind and rain hit the north east and south east side walls. The water drips from the inner header of the door and window. I painted lower portion of south east wall with masonry water sealer. Seems work when the rain is not heavy.
My guess is this, the masonry wall absorbs a lot water when it hit by heavy rain, the water penetrate the bricks and goes down. The door and window are not installed properly, maybe lack of proper ways to drain the water.
Is my guess right? Or there may be other cause? How to correct this? If my guess is right, what should add above the door and window to drain the water?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-16, 01:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Can you post pictures of the windows and door from the inside and out so we can see what you see? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 01-17-16, 08:34 AM
Here are some pictures.

Name:  leak1.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  22.1 KBName:  leak2.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  35.2 KBName:  leak5.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  41.2 KBName:  leak4.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  40.9 KBplease see the pictures. Thanks.

Old 01-17-16, 08:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Which window is leaking? It appears more than one window on that facing. Is there another window in the concrete wall? The flashing over the door unit leaves a little to be desired. It doesn't appear to be long enough and the space below the flashing is ideal for blowing rain to enter. What is under the flashing? Is it embedded in a concrete header?

Old 01-17-16, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 176 Posts
Water is probably seeping through the brick sills of the windows above.

Old 01-18-16, 05:44 PM
The leaking window is on the left to the patio door. I added that ugly looking flashing after I suspected the water leaking from the joint between door and concrete wall above. But definitely this is not the cause. My guess is, the door and window were not original there. Somebody cut a hole on the concrete wall and installed the door and window. The top of the concrete wall where it meets the brick wall and wood structure should have a shape "L", so all water penetrate the brick comes down and drain outside. When somebody knocked a hole on the wall for the door, they also damaged the "L" shape, and they didn't take any steps to drain the water. So when it rains heavily and the wind is at the right direction, so much water goes through the wall and drips down, and leaks into my basement.