DIY Options for Repair of Cracked Garage Floor Sinking on One Side

Old 03-02-16, 08:55 AM
DIY Options for Repair of Cracked Garage Floor Sinking on One Side

I have a detached two stall garage that is probably about 30 years old. It has a wide long crack running lengthwise a near the middle but more towards one side from the others. The slab is sinking on that side pretty badly. I don't think mud jacking is an option, plus I want to do it myself to keep costs down.

I was thinking of maybe cutting some cylindrical holes 1-2' in diameter into the existing floor along the sinking wall and then pouring some new concrete. Then when it is set, putting some floor jack posts on these pads and running a beam overhead. I'm thinking that could stop the sinking and stabilize it. Then cut out and replace some of the bad sections of the floor.

On the other hand, I'm thinking maybe I could temporarily stabilize the sinking side some other way, cut out the bad sections of the concrete including the foundation under that wall, compact the soil and then re-pour that half of the floor. It would be about the same amount of work, I'm just not sure how to go about stabilizing. It could take a little time if I do it myself, plus, sometimes other things come up and projects get delayed.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-16, 09:16 AM
Temporarily Suspended
First of all, some wide angled pics outside & inside would help. I would install footings outside before breaking the floor.

Old 03-02-16, 07:45 PM
I don't understand what you hope to accomplish with the circular pads and jack posts. I suspect the settled portion of the floor is probably doing so because the base it was poured on is no longer there, but instead has settled itself--not particularly unusual for residential construction, where quality control inspections are unheard of. Easiest fix is to remove the settled concrete (using a rental 90-lb. electric jack hammer), place some granular base material, compact the dickens out of it, then repour to match the original grade.