Freshly poured concrete stoop surface crack?

Old 03-15-16, 05:27 AM
Freshly poured concrete stoop surface crack?

I have a new house being constructed and the front stoop was poured and dried last week. I went out to look at the house this weekend and saw the stoop had a small surface crack a foot or so long. The width is pretty small, definitely can't fit a quarter in there but you can your finger nail.

Should I be concerned about this? Will water get in there and freeze and cause it to expand more? Also if they fill it with something will it look bad? It's concerning to me as the purchaser that it would start cracking so fast and makes me think something wasn't done properly.

If expoxy or some crack filler is used will that have a long life? I would think breaking up the stoop and replacing it would be excessive but if this crack is only going to get worse and lead me to replace the stoop in 5-10yrs, then I would rather have the job done right. I can accept things happen that aren't always controlled but I just want to make sure this stoop will last a long time.

Last edited by Eaglei22; 03-15-16 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-16, 06:44 AM
Post a picture so we can see what your seeing.
There should be no cracks and any filler used is going to just stick out like a sore thumb.
Likely the cause was wrong material used to back fill or it was not compacted correctly.

Old 03-15-16, 08:30 AM
Old 03-15-16, 08:56 AM
Old 03-15-16, 09:02 AM
Group Moderator
Good closeup. Now one from farther back, showing the overhang and foundation. Looks like a stress crack from the weight of the slab where it might be overhanging. Cement is going to crack somewhere, but that looks like a weak point cause by poor installation, lack of reinforcement, or something. Will wait for more pics.

The groove they put along the edge seems like a bad place for it, structurally speaking. It could also have been cause by bad compaction- settling inside the foundation wall because of the weight of the concrete... or if the concrete happened to be a little thicker (and heavier) there because of the poor compaction, the sinking would have pulled the concrete downward as it was trying to cure. That seems more likely in looking at the shape and directions of the crack.

Got any pictures of it before it was poured?

Old 03-15-16, 09:32 AM
Thanks xsleeper! I dont have right before it was poured but i remember there being gravel poured there a couple weeks beforehand. I have some pictures I can get later tonight when I get home; from about month and a half ago I have of the front. This was when framing started which will give an idea of where the support ledges off the foundation wall are.

Update:
I won't be able to get out to the site to ger more pics of the slab until tomorrow afternoon some time to show more of it.

Last edited by Eaglei22; 03-15-16 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-15-16, 09:46 AM
Btw, based off the pictures is there anything I should worry about? Is it something that should be broken up and repoured? Just wondering what I am in for with this as I don't know much about concrete. If left, will it get much bigger or is something like that okay to just leave be and maybe negotiate a discount or something.

What would be the cost to break something like this up and replace it

Old 03-15-16, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
Bridgeman45 would be a good guy to ask, he has lots of experience with cement. The biggest problem in my opinion is that the fissures will let water in, and it's the freezing and thawing that will create the problems. I'm sure they would rather give a compensation than pay to replace. There are epoxies that can repair it but none that are invisible or that will match perfectly. Can't comment on replacement cost. No idea how big or thick it is.... or what the cost of delivery is in your area.

Old 03-15-16, 10:30 AM
Okay thanks for your help and input xsleeper.

Old 03-16-16, 06:47 PM
Old 03-17-16, 09:27 PM
Your contractor's sloppy work caused that slab to crack. No one with any sense installs grooved joints in stoop concrete. And the gobs of white caulk on the column and door trim are further evidence of how incapable he is at residential construction. If it was my money paying for it, it would be removed and replaced asap.

Old 03-18-16, 06:41 AM
Well I don't mind the caulk because all of that is going to be painted white eventually and shouldn't be noticeable. But I don't knew what best practices are for this sort of stuff.

Will that crack eventually get even bigger in the next couple years and what determines having a grooved joint or not? They put those joints in my full sized basement too but not in my three car garage. I see many houses with a big basement not have those either. So it doesn't seem consistent to me.

Old 03-18-16, 09:33 AM
Maybe put in for just the looks.I would not be happy with water sitting in there and maybe freezing.Contraction/Control Joints in Concrete Flatwork

Old 03-18-16, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the responses. I will update on the builder's response one I get it as to the reason why they think that happened and what their solution is if any.

Old 03-27-16, 05:44 AM
Will be replaced

Got notice that the stoop is going to be ripped out and replaced. I was very happy to hear.

Old 03-27-16, 12:48 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the update. Nice to know some contractors are the good guys.