Advice on building block island for grill

Old 03-16-16, 06:39 PM
Advice on building block island for grill

Im planning on adding counters/island to the sides of a bbq grill. I want to build them out of block and then either tile them or give them a sand finish. Ive never really worked with block before so im kind of clueless.

Can i lay a slab of concrete down outlining the counters/bbq and build the block wall on top of it? How thick does the slab need to be?

Once i build the perimeter of block how do i attach a counter surface on it? I do not want to place a slab of granite on top as it is expensive. I think i will go with a tile surface countertop as well.

Im undecided if i want to place the grill in the corner still because my fence is at a weird angle (not 90) heres a pic http://i.imgur.com/lieRbRp.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-16, 10:07 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Can i lay a slab of concrete down outlining the counters/bbq and build the block wall on top of it? How thick does the slab need to be?
Even though there is no frost line in AZ, I don't know if footings are needed under the slab. Local builders would know.

I do not want to place a slab of granite on top as it is expensive.
What about a blue stone slab?

Old 03-17-16, 06:35 AM
I think i might pour a footing to get a nice level surface first. I had two slabs of cheap granite which i was originally going to use as the counters but they both have the corners chipped off about a good foot. The surface area is going to be about 2ft long on front 3 ft long up on the fence and 2 feet wide. Is blue stone really that affordable?

Old 03-17-16, 07:01 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Is blue stone really that affordable?
I presumed that it was cheaper than granite. The best way to verify that is to call a local stone yard & see what they have to offer.

Old 03-17-16, 09:23 PM
As a minimum, a thickened slab will be necessary, to prevent the weight of your block construction from cracking a typical slab.