Construction adhesive for rock veneer?

Old 03-18-16, 11:37 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Construction adhesive for rock veneer?

I want to make a large round planter for my front yard. Huge pots (48 to 60 inches) are really expensive, so I am thinking of using a galvanized steel stock tank. I will drill holes in the bottom for drainage. My question is, I don't want this shiny steel stock tank in my front yard, so I was thinking that I would use the same rock veneer that is on my house and 'glue' that rock veneer to the stock tank. We live in a pretty mild climate (we may have half a dozen days that go below 0 Celsius in winter). Do you think that construction adhesive (Loctite, PL Premium) would work? What product would you recommend?

Old 03-19-16, 03:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Drilling holes in galvanized metal will open a place for rust to begin, so be sure to coat the inside of the tank with an undercoating product to prevent the dirt and moisture from making it rust away too prematurely.

As far as the rock, it won't adhere to the metal well. It is an odd request, but what I would do is wrap the tank tightly with metal lath, trimming it just short of the top. This will give your rock a holding place. Use sand/mortar mix made for rock applications and put a scratch coat on the lath, followed by buttering your rock and placing them. Once they are placed, you can come back and mortar the joints and strike them off.

Old 03-19-16, 03:14 AM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
If you'd like, you can use construction adhesive for your project. Factors I'd consider are whether adhesive adheres properly to galvanized steel / rock veneer, water resistance, cost, and ease of use. On all these points there are many construction adhesives like the brands you mentioned. Liquid Nails or Titebond would also suit your needs.

On the ease of use consideration, select a product that gives a good initial grab or lay the container on its side and do a section at a time.

Galvanized metal will have a coating that should be removed to improve adhesion. Clean it well and then go over it with white vinegar which should help.

Last edited by Tony P.; 03-19-16 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-19-16, 03:25 AM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
Also, I see what you say about temperature, but I'd still be a bit concerned about freezing. It will not take much for water to get into little spaces and freeze, which could cause the veneer to loosen. For that reason, I'd bring it in when there's a possibility of frost, freezing rain, or snow. Also, consider raising the planter at least inch or two above ground.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: