Replacing old retaining wall

Old 03-27-16, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing old retaining wall

I've got an old retaining wall around the house that's made from railway ties. They're 40+ years old and rotting out pretty badly. I'd like to rip out the ties and replace them with retaining wall stones (Pavestone or equivalent).

My hope/plan is to rip out the ties over the course of a week during evenings after work, then be able to spend the weekend building up the new wall. One of my main concerns with the project is not knowing if I will need to support the dirt behind the original wall between removing the ties and installing the stones. If I rip out the ties over the course of a week and then install the new wall on the weekend, will it be necessary to support the dirt in the interim?

Any thoughts/advice appreciated!

Cheers,

Roger

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-16, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You won't be able to completely answer that question until you remove the 1st few sections of the old railroad ties but the odds are quite good that you won't have to worry about supporting the existing dirt after you remove the ties. Over the years it's probably compacted quite well unless you get a huge rainstorm or other unnatural event while you have the ties removed you shouldn't have any problems. Don't forget to put a good gravel base underneath your new retaining wall stones.