Constructing a suspended porch slab

Old 05-31-16, 03:28 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Constructing a suspended porch slab

Hello folks.,
I'm Jim and I'm new to this forum. I live in Franklin, TN. My wife and I are building our dream home...literally. While I'm not a contractor I have done every aspect of construction all my life..came from a family of DIY'ers big time.
Ok that said I have poured a lot of cement and done my fair share of masonry, tile and stone. Regardless I am stumped on how to for my next step on my front porch suspended slab. I have a poured wall 10x20' rectangle wall for what will be my tornado room and of course of which the top will be the cement porch. Here is where I need help; these poured walls are 9" thick with vertical rebar every 18 inches sticking out the top of the walls. The walls of course adjoin the house basement poured walls. I realize I could install my corre gated metal by notching the rebar and then bending it inward over the metal before I pour, but since the exterior of this porch and front steps are going to be brick...we want a brick border around the perimeter of the top of the finished stab visible on the finished top. Also to complicate matters this porch area has a. Huge 12/12 gable roof over it currently supported by temporary Tposts. So I have no good feeling about how to bring the brick work up the sides and then pour the slab as well as keep this massive gable supported. Of course when all is finished there will be masonry pillars with partial wood posts on top of the slab over the corners supporting the big gable. I hope this description makes sense of my dilemma. Thanks for your help. I would like to attach a photo but not sure how to do that.

Old 05-31-16, 03:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Not sure I understand the problem with the corrugated as it doesn't need to come all the way to the outer edge. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 05-31-16, 03:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! As said, a picture is worth a 1000 words. Can you post a picture or two of your project so we can see what you see? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Keep in mind, brick is only a veneer and offers no support, so you will need some sort of support system to hold things up. We'll look at the pictures and give better advice.

Old 05-31-16, 04:36 AM
W
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
Brick

Sounds like a concrete ledge should have been incorporated into the foundation to provide a foundation for the brick facade.

Also, the load bearing corner columns must be supported all the way down to a footing.

Show us some photos so we can help.

Old 05-31-16, 04:13 PM
J
Photos on the way

Thanks for reading my post on my proposed suspended porch. I will take some detailed photos tonight and upload. Then maybe ya'll will be able to help
Jim😇

Old 05-31-16, 07:29 PM
J
Ok so I've attached photos of my front porch poured walls. I want to pour a suspended slab on top of the porch walls. I intend to put coregated steel panels (supported on the walls) with rebar in the slab. Of course during the pour and cure I will temporary shore the underside. The room that is created under the slab will be a storm shelter. The exterior walls surrounding the porch will be bricked. You will notice the brick ledge in one of the photos. Here is my question; after the brick is added to the walls, I wanted a brick row facing longways (like soldiers) on the slab perimeter. These would be visible from the top and frame the slab. I have no idea how to pour the slab supported by the poured walls and then leave room for the top edge brick frame. I can't understand the steps to do this correctly. Thanks for your time and advice. JimName:  image.jpg
Views: 2952
Size:  35.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1927
Size:  44.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 2330
Size:  36.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 2952
Size:  35.7 KB

Old 06-01-16, 04:19 PM
J
Ok so the photos are attached above..I still need your help

If any of you have a recommend on how I can pour this suspended slab and incorporate a brick border that shows on the top perimeter ..that would be so appreciated. Thanks
Jim

Old 06-01-16, 05:12 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Support the slab forms using temporary walers and interior columns, from inside the tornado room. All can be removed when the concrete achieves adequate strength, using the access door you built into the foundation wall. Incorporate brick ledges in the slab edges for supporting your brickwork.

In your wet country, don't forget brickwork weep holes, brick ties and adequate flashing over all of the doors and window openings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: