Repairing seam between concrete and bricks on porch

Old 06-01-16, 10:56 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing seam between concrete and bricks on porch

I have a cement porch with brick steps. Ants have eaten up the seam between the brick and cement. I want to know how I can repair this seam around the porch. It there a tube of something I can use in a caulking gun to fill in this seam? Thanks for any and all help.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-16, 12:12 PM
The ants didn't eat that, they just moved in after things shifted, probably due to freeze/thaw cycles. I have used Loctite PL S10 or S20. It remains flexible and holds up pretty well. Fill the crack a bit lower than the surface then very lightly run a wet finger along the crack to smooth it out. I advise filling slightly lower than the surface because if it gets on a place where you don't want it, it can be impossible to clean off.

Old 06-01-16, 01:32 PM
Thank you for your help. Home Depot has this and I will try it. Appreciate you responding.

Old 06-01-16, 03:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 124 Posts
You would want to first grind out the joint to remove any loose debris and blow it out with air, then stuff some 1/4" backer rod (I think Lowes calls it caulk saver) in the joint, before filling it with sealant. Press the backer rod down so that it's below the surface at least 1/4". Besides S10 and S20, Sakrete makes a decent concrete crack filler (gray) that comes in a quart bottle. It is not nearly as runny as most self leveling sealants, which makes it a little easier to control.

Don't put anything self leveling in there without the backer rod or it will all drain away below the surface.... until it fills the whole space.

Old 06-04-16, 06:22 AM
Thank you for your help. I truly appreciate it.