New Concrete Slab 'bouncy'

Old 06-09-16, 07:35 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Concrete Slab 'bouncy'

We put in some new concrete at the driveway and so far its' been fine. but I noticed that the new concrete where it meets the old sidewalk, there it has cracked along side the new sidewalk.

If i put something heavy on it like a garbage can i can feel it bounce a little. I see the crack has developed right at the base of where new concrete and sidewalk meet.

I know it's still curing but is this a problem? Like if i want to park my car it wn't collapse will it?

Old 06-09-16, 07:47 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What did you use for a base? How did you compact it?

Old 06-09-16, 07:53 PM
N
Not exactly sure, the contractor did most of the work. he's done it 100s of times before. i will call him out to check, but the driveway is downhill and it's on the end of the slope where the new slab meets the sidewalk. i can see the sidewalk area deteriorating and the crack on the base of the slab. it's the only part that bounces, the rest of the slab is fine and solid.

Old 06-10-16, 03:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Like if i want to park my car it wn't collapse will it?
It depends on the size of void that is under it. Since it's new work it's not likely it would break and drop more than an inch or so. Definitely get the contractor back to check it out.

Old 06-10-16, 09:00 PM
A
Bouncy underneath

I would agree, it sounds like it has something to do with what is underneath the concrete. Definitely get the contractor back to check it out. It could be the compact or the soil composite.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: