drill hole(s) in 1/4" granite plaque

Old 06-21-16, 09:50 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
drill hole(s) in 1/4" granite plaque

I'm wanting to mount a 1/4" thick, flat, rectangular, black smooth granite plaque to a 12 x 12 wooden board on a railing. The plaque has no mounting holes so I want to drill four holes (one in each corner) so that I'll have holes through which fasteners (maybe some brass or stainless steel screws) can be used to mount/hold the plaque onto the wood. I want to use the correct type drill bit for this but am unsure what specific type of bit I need that should work easily/properly. There seem to be different types of "masonry" bits but not sure if granite is considered masonry and I've just never had much experience in drilling through masonry and none really through granite. Need advice please about this, any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-21-16, 10:18 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'd glue it with heavy duty construction adhesive.

Old 06-21-16, 10:30 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I'm with Ray - adhesive rather than holes.

Old 06-21-16, 10:30 AM
I'd glue it with heavy duty construction adhesive.
I thought along those lines too. The wood though is stained with oil-base outdoor deck stain and I wasn't too sure whether the granite plaque (which by the way measures 9" x 12" so isn't particularly heavy) would stay adhered to that surface with construction adhesive. It would need to stick good and secure; it's outdoors exposed to the elements and the mounting is on a slant and can't risk it coming loose and sliding off eventually. Any further comments appreciated.

Old 06-21-16, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned with how to drill the granite. I would only be concerned with how to clamp the granite plaque to the railing until adhesive sets.
100% silicone caulk sticks to granite better that any other adhesive I have seen.

Apply dots of silicone to the back and use a bar clamp or spring clamps if possible.
The dots, rather than a full bead of caulk, are important in case you ever want to remove the item.

Old 06-21-16, 11:51 AM
Handyone, yeah I have some bar clamps that can probably serve well to to clamp the granite plaque to the wood. And I have happen to have a tube of 100% silicone caulk too. The caulk should definitely work good as an adhesive, granite to the (recently) oil-stained wood? I really wouldn't need to use actual constructive adhesive but just that caulk as you described?

Old 06-21-16, 12:13 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, silicone should work well.

Old 06-23-16, 09:14 AM
Apply dots of silicone to the back and use a bar clamp or spring clamps if possible.
Yes, silicone should work well.
Update: Worked like a charm! Didn't need to drill no stinkin' holes for any stinkin' screws. Thanks guys.

Old 06-26-16, 01:03 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
i wouldn't but its done,,, silicone's not meant to be an adhesive even tho many of us use it as such

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: