Using existing slab as footing for slump block planter walls.

Old 06-24-16, 04:35 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Using existing slab as footing for slump block planter walls.

I plan to use an existing patio slab as the footing for some 2 course plus cap planter boxes. The slab is about 30 years old.

I see that there are several concrete bonding adhesive products available which supposedly are for bonding new concrete to existing. Is this product necessary for my project or can I just sweep off the slab and use mortar to adhere the first course to the slab.

Thank you.

Old 07-07-16, 10:07 AM
M
Concrete bonding

You would not need any kind of bonding agent. The mortar will bond to your concrete enough to hold it in place, especially when you consider the weight of the two courses and then the cap, it is not likely to move anyway. Just as long as there is not any loose paint on the surface where planter is going. If there were a definite need for bonding the two, it would be better achieved by drilling the concrete and pounding in short rebar. But you have to make sure not to penetrate concrete slab, and be careful not to crack slab at its edges when pounding in the rebar. But this rebar method is only in extreme cases, such as earthquake prone areas. Good luck and laying!

Old 07-27-16, 01:02 PM
G
Thank you, I appreciate the advice.

Old 07-27-16, 06:59 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
How thick is the slab? Too thin, and it may crack when subject to loading it wasn't designed for.

And don't forget weep holes--you don't want the planters to become water-saturated

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: