Patching and sealing a asphalt driveway

Old 06-29-16, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patching and sealing a asphalt driveway

The driveway at out new home has been severely neglected. We can replace it right now, so I would like to try to clean it up and try to keep it together for a while.
I've been watching videos and reading what I can find, but I havnt seen a direct answer for this question. We have a few spots of alligator cracks. I was thinking about using the latex-lite products. Do you trowel over the whole area or do you try filling in around each crack with the crack fillers? Also, when you use the jug of crack filler do you smooth it down with a putty knife of just fill in the crack and that's it? I think I understand what to do with holes and then sealing.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-16, 10:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 282 Posts
While I haven't sealed a lot of driveways the ones that had cracks I just used the filler that comes in a caulking tube prior to applying the sealer. If you post a pic or two of your driveway we will have a better idea of just what needs to be done.

Old 06-29-16, 01:36 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
I do what Marksr does. It's not permanent but it will hold together. The main thing is you want to seal those hair line cracks from getting water and then freezing in the winter.

Old 06-29-16, 01:38 PM
R
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
This site has some good information and answers to your questions under the repair section, www.asphaltsealcoatingdirect.com.

Old 06-29-16, 03:41 PM
Here are some pictures of what most of the cracks look like

Old 06-29-16, 03:44 PM
This is the biggest rut

Old 06-30-16, 03:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never had to repair any asphalt that bad. Blacktop sealer alone is better than nothing. Hopefully some of the others will have some insight.

Old 06-30-16, 04:17 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Yea, that looks pretty bad. Clean it and use sealer. The only way to build it back up is to dig it out and use cold patch. Tamp it down real good. It will last maybe two years.

If the driveway is in good shape otherwise with a solid substrate, meaning there are no depressions or bumps rising up and the sides are not crumbling, a topping will bring it back to a like new condition. The cost for that is minimal compared to digging out the old stuff and re-laying new foundation and base material, then final topping.

Old 06-30-16, 09:03 AM
Our driveway has all those problems... It's probably 35 years old from the builder. I'm just trying to hold it together until we can replace it.
So you guys would just recommend sealing over those cracks and not go crazy filling everything. I did see a latex lite product to fill in 1/2 or so holes. They rut has sand in it from our sandy soil, but there is asphalt in there.

Old 06-30-16, 10:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Sealing the asphalt should help more than anything. I don't know if trying to patch those mega cracks would be worth the effort or not.

Old 07-06-16, 08:27 AM
Y
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
For the alligator cracks you might try Do It Best Driveway crack sealer, 1 gal liquid, p/n 111953. Use a throwaway brush and really work it in. And then work it in some more. Maybe in a week or so...do it again if you think necessary. As far as the deep holes.....I know nothing....