Concrete floor in new pole barn

Old 07-25-16, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete floor in new pole barn

Im getting ready to pour floor in 40' x 60' pole barn. The builder that put the pole barn up will be pouring and finishing the concrete. I'm not sure concrete is his forte but he seems to have all the right answers when I ask him questions. My big fear is the timing of the finish and allowing all bleed water to escape especially with vapor barrier. Is this hard to judge or if he has decent experience he will know? I know a silly question to put out there but just trying to determine if this is a routine task in the concrete process. Also, temperature is hot mid 90's but it will be under cover so no direct sun. There are two large garage doors 12' wide with 3 man doors and 7 windows for air flow. Any concerns pouring in these conditions? Hes planning to do two pours due to the size I like that ideaI try to post pic...

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-16, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3446
Size:  39.6 KBI hope this works. Here is the pic after prepping this weekend.

Old 07-25-16, 03:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 138 Votes on 123 Posts
If he is the business of building pole barns I'd suspect he's done this many times. Before you hired him did you look at any of his work?

Old 07-25-16, 03:34 PM
Received 28 Votes on 26 Posts
What is going into that garage? Two 12' wide garage doors sounds like something heavy might sneak in. In the large building I built the architect specified lots of rebar and 6" thick in the light load areas and 8" think in the heavy load areas, all 4,000 pound mix. Also had to have a 12" deep 12" wide haunch around the perimeter with more rebar.

Installing rebar over the vapor barrier is a task all in its own to keep from ripping the VB to shreds.

Your concerns are valid as concrete waits for no one. Is he skilled at using a float. Will he have a crew? Certainly not a one man job.

When he suggests 2 pours I get the impression he is not that experienced as most concrete companies (the ones I have worked with) would wade in and do it all in one pour.

Bud