Sinking driveway repair

Old 09-05-16, 11:09 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sinking driveway repair

[ATTACH]70492

This is my sinking driveway. It has been repaired twice before by the previous owner but it has not lasted because of a problem underneath.
I will now repair this, hopefully for the last time, I will post links to videos of my progress.
I hope this will help someone wanting some information on how to do this kind of repair themselves. I have no experience in flat work but I have read up and have done my best to provide what I wish I had when researching videos on how to do it.
I will start with a sledgehammer, safety glasses and gloves. will try and keep the cost down, but not time, but I will try and be speedy.

Attached Images  
Old 09-06-16, 02:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 431 Votes on 385 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
What did the previous owner do to try and correct this? There may be more voids underneath the concrete than just where the concrete is broken

Old 09-06-16, 04:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
You will need to find the cause and fix that also.

Old 09-06-16, 11:40 AM
P
Thanks! I am glad to be here so far, I hope this helps someone else.

The previous owner just broke up the driveway and put some of the more larger chunks underneath after which he just had it redone the same way twice. He does not know exactly why its doing it.

Although he did say that before the property was purchased a shed had been buried there on the land many years before...

Old 09-06-16, 02:14 PM
Received 376 Votes on 341 Posts
The ground was not properly prepared prior to the original pour. If in fact a shed was buried in that location it may be that the rotting is complete and now the ground is settling. It needs to be dug up and removed and then refilled have it properly filled with stone, compacted and let is stand (ideally for a whole season), then re-pour the concrete.

Old 09-08-16, 01:13 PM
P
Here is the first video listed below. It takes a while to make these in addition to also doing the work, but ill do my best to provide what information I can on this repair to help others in a similar situation (If ever).
Video quality is not super high, it being made on a Windows Vista OS and WMM and because I was in a rush to do this project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOnCqjhrZRo

Old 09-08-16, 01:36 PM
There are other experts here who should give you good advice. But the remaining good slabs obviously need to be supported. I don't know the name of the process or the material, but there is a material that can be forced into the opening that will fill the voids.

BTW... your video was very good. But for my liking you can skip the music.

Edit: Any reason why you can't fill the removed slab with new stone, compact it and let is stay for a full season before pouring a new slab?

Old 09-10-16, 03:10 AM
B
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
I think you need someone with a backhoe and dump truck.

Old 09-10-16, 10:01 PM
P
Thanks
Brushing up on video stuff as well, trying different things with it. I have music on the next one as well though so far. But I don't speak in it but as time goes I will have to though as it gets more technical.

As far filling it and waiting id be up for that, except that I am a landlord and need spots for tenants to park and drive on.
As well as the city told me to put the cones on it and advised I get it fixed at this point. I was waiting, hoping it would stop sinking first but it has not and now its major enough to get the city eye. I had thought to maybe just pour asphalt in the hole and fill it but it would be ugly, I don't have the budget for a major dig.

My neighbors driveway is the one that is not sinking but hes on the verge of breaking as well, I will stuff what I can under it. But yeah, we plow snow in the winter and with it would go my gravel in the snow.

Old 09-12-16, 12:24 AM
P
Digging down sounds expensive, backhoe or large excavator. This hole is huge, almost like its a toilet, literally swallowing up everything, so odd...
A bridge is not what I want but its probably what it will end up being based on my budget and without proper digging and engineering, I estimated around $1,000-1,200 for a DIY from start to finish.

Here is the next video below, kinda short, but it updates the project a bit, funny how things can end up interfering with a tool rental time, I guess i'm glad I had nothing rented at this stage?
(music in it, but subtitles i've put on.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atKXI2Rzt_I

Old 09-12-16, 03:34 AM
Good video! Tough break about garage door repair.

I have to agree with Baldwin, you need to get heavy equipment in there and dig down deep yo remove old rotted wood.

Old 09-12-16, 03:42 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'd at least be using a rented electric pavement breaker (AKA jackhammer) not a sledge hammer but yes I'll vote for a dozer too.

Old 09-15-16, 12:51 PM
P
(no music) Here is the next update video, I'm cheap on rental tools especially if something happens like my door falling off right in the middle of rental time.

But I wont be able to get out of renting things here before too long...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKgcZOzPX08

Old 09-15-16, 03:26 PM
WOW. That's a lot of work.

Putting in those large chunks of concrete as filler may not be the best idea unless you will be able to fill in the voids that they will make between themselves. That hole under the exiting slab and the one you broke up needs to be excavated and filled with a stone that will compact. Sounds like several yards of concrete from a truck should be poured under the exiting "cave".

Old 09-17-16, 01:54 PM
P
In this video the main mystery behind this sinking has been revealed.

This problem is too costly to be a DIY as far as fixing the real problem is concerned now and too much to pay someone else to fix in addition to all the flat work cost.
I will do what I am able with a limited budget to fix this as a DIY, my focus will be shifted to just trying to fill it up and repair the subgrade the best I can and bridge this area the best I can or know how/figure out.

I will be doing the flatwork as well on this DIY. I am reading up on concrete finishing at this point in the video as well.

I agree with you on that voids between the crushed concrete, I will fill it up with dirt also and compact it to minimize the small voids as much as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOCTivyQUDg

Old 09-17-16, 02:10 PM
OH boy, there's that music again. :grin: This time accompanied with jitters.

If you don't have enough fill from the demo'ing to fill the well you should be able get free fill from places that are doing other excavation and rework. You're on the right track, considering you can't or won't get a professional to do the work.

Keep us posted.

Old 09-21-16, 10:28 AM
P
There was a homeowner yard not too far away with a huge giant pile of rock and dirt in it, I will get what I can from there. Thanks for the tip!

Here is the next video if interested or helpful in your driveway repair situation to anyone viewing the forum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJNuTJVKWdo

(90% music in the video for anyone not liking music, hint hint haha)

Old 09-21-16, 12:13 PM
I thought you were going to use the broken up concrete as fill in the void section?

Tell the fairy that her cameo was very nice.

Old 09-21-16, 12:27 PM
P
I did fill it up with as much of the smaller broken stuff as I could, the larger chunks are just too big to leave there unless I dug it all out and refilled it with the driveway chunks which digging down is too much $.
Smaller fill would be better I think, mixed with a bit of dirt around town like you mentioned.

I need to give that fairy a year supply so she will just DIY it for me

Happy birthday tomorrow?

Old 09-26-16, 11:07 AM
P
Hello forum,
Here is a video on some subgrade work I did for the repair if interested or helpful in your case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocDy-azsSHs

Old 09-26-16, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the birthday wishes from your last post.

You should rent a small trailer to haul that dirt fill. Looks like a long walk to get a wheel barrow of fill.

Old 10-02-16, 11:22 AM
P
Ran the jumping jack around a bit and compacted the soil pretty hard, it was easier to use then I thought, though it jumped real high on spots that were really hard, kinda funny and didn't jump down through a soft spot like I thought I might given the conditions.

Here is a video of the quick run around if anyone interested, (music)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtgFlrUvew8

Old 10-08-16, 02:00 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
nobody in this forum suggested bridging it ?

Old 10-08-16, 04:49 PM
I don't think bridging it would be allowed in his neighborhood. And bridging it, you mean building over it?

Old 10-10-16, 05:52 PM
P
In this video I got the 3/4" minus unwashed gravel for the slab(s).

Bridging will be done actually, good idea, by bridging I guess meaning, adding rebar to the slab so that it ends up being a bridge when it continues to sink over time.

video link below for the curious or in those in need of help with their own situation.
(music & non-music)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ9OPQTYyzI

Old 10-11-16, 05:54 AM
Great video. _________________________________________

Old 10-14-16, 01:01 AM
P
Leveled out the 3/4" minus unwashed gravel, it took a while but it happened.

I decided against using a skid steer to push it in and level it out, rentals are quite a bit of money for about 30 minutes worth of using.

I may have gone a bit too precise on leveling the gravel out to get it exactly 5" for the concrete depth and I felt like I was making a rock garden after a while.

I also rented a vibratory plate compactor to get the stuff packed solid, the unwashed gravel pit fines helped the gravel to lock together better.

If there was another way to level the gravel out to get it to the exact 5" depth for the concrete by some other tools or better method id like to know but I didn't or couldn't think of it I guess.

I didnt feel like I did it right, but I guess it worked . Any tips for properly leveling would be great for future projects.

Thanks Norm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zb6lii79HI
(music & non music)

Old 10-14-16, 05:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 431 Votes on 385 Posts
The concrete depth/thickness doesn't need to be exact ..... as long as it's close. A less than 1/2 dip or rise here or there won't make any difference with a 5" driveway slab.

Old 10-17-16, 10:41 AM
P
Thanks for the tip marksr

Chose #4 Grade 60 rebar and cut into them to size to get them ready to put into to the driveway.

Had some trouble figuring out how to get the giant lengths to my house but it all worked out and found a out a way to save some money on delivery too.

This video was done quick... it has a lot of scrolling info, but I hope the info is useful for someone out there wanting to use rebar.

Does anyone know if its true that rebar should not be run through control joints in a normal flatwork situation?
Thinking that dowels are the only proper and normal way to to it, but id like to run all the rebar though the center control joint for a "bridge" work in my case, since this may come back to haunt me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO2ObaFgt30

Old 10-19-16, 01:27 PM
P
Chosen rebar chair is a brick paver to set the steel on and used epoxy on the rebar..

(music & non music)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ2fROF02HM

Old 10-21-16, 03:00 AM
P
Tying and getting rebar into position in this video.
Used a tie wire tool and wire, single strand tied everything, epoxy sprayed to help out the corrosion resistance on the metal.

Next up is fighting the beast.

Win or lose in the long or short term I have enjoyed the journey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAeNP6v14oE

Old 11-01-16, 06:03 AM
P
This is the final video for the DIY sinking driveway repair series.

I hope you find something useful in this video when looking to do your own concrete project. If nothing else, maybe entertaining or gives you a good night sleep.

Finishing concrete is an art as well as a science, a beautiful material.

Thanks to those on the forum who helped me out, future visitors I hope this is a useful video for you, I tried to make a concrete DIY video.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=r8lgREh4CtE

Im out, cya

Old 11-01-16, 08:01 AM
B
I wanna see this but your link doesn't work. I notice after youtube dot com it says "edit" where the others say "watch" ???

Old 11-01-16, 09:31 AM
B
here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8lg...wdK-Oo_r8dOVIe

I've never finished concrete but it looks good to me.

Old 12-17-16, 01:09 AM
P
Hello forum,

The final video for this thread has become corrupt since I've posted it, so I have had to re-upload it and delete the original one for those future visitors to this thread at some point in time.

Here is the new video link below, (I apologize for the thread bump.) With that being said, the slab has done great so far into the freezing weather & merry Christmas & happy holidays!

Thanks Baldwin & thanks for helping me out with the previous correct link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTjdzEo8Wfg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: