Huge cracks in concrete at house corner

Old 09-22-16, 08:33 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Huge cracks in concrete at house corner

Foundation repair was done on home I just bought two years ago. Six long pilings were placed deep in the ground along one side of house to level the foundation slab. The lifting of the house has created large fissures in concrete sidewalk along wall. But my greatest concern is a significant void that goes under corner of house. I think one of the 6 pilings was placed near that corner.

It is about 6 inches deep and 3-4 inches wide and goes diagonally under 90 degree corner so maybe 8 inches long.

I have read a lot about filling cracks in concrete but nothing for something this large. Some say fill with sand or gravel to within 1/4" of top. Then use concrete crack repair to fill it up.

Is there some kind of foam I could shoot in there to fill up most of the void instead of sand or gravel? I don't think foam rod (caulk saver) exists for crack this wide.

My home inspector I hired after contract to purchase house noted "cracks" in concrete but did not recommend any repairs. But I don't like that cavity with toad and lizards making it their home. Large enough for big mouse nest.

Will post photo tomorrow. It is night now and too dark to snap picture tonight.

Old 09-23-16, 02:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Votes on 382 Posts
We'll need pics to fully understand what you have going on. How long ago was the foundation repair made?

Old 09-23-16, 07:09 AM
F
Repair done two years ago. Just bought house last month.

Attached Images   
Old 09-23-16, 09:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 966 Votes on 887 Posts
No there is no foam you can simply squirt into the cracks. Your foundation should be inspected to verify that it is OK and not settling and the sidewalk cracking is limited only to the sidewalk. If it is then two options come to mind.

1. Remove the existing sidewalk and compact and back fill the area underneath the sidewalk with crushed stone. Then pour a new walkway.

2. Contact a mud jacking company. They might be able to bore holes through the sidewalk and inject grout under pressure. By properly controlling the injection of grout they can fill the voids underneath and return the concrete to its original elevation.

Old 09-23-16, 09:31 AM
F
Foundation repair came with lifetime warranty but only for structural soundness of pilings. I don't have the money to repour concrete or do mudjacking. Was hoping for "make do" fix.

The house itself cannot be settling because depth and number of pilings. So I guess they didn't repour concrete along the house so ground is settling under sidewalk. Appears that an attempt was made to patch original crack made when pilings installed but it has now widened significantly. Neither my inspector or FHA inspector seemed concerned.

My inspector said imperative that rain gutters be installed to keep water away from foundation after repair. Gutters only $400 installed but owner paid $11,000 for foundation repair and didn't bother with gutters. The cracks are completely through concrete so all rain has been seeping under concrete for 2 years.

A water barrier is needed at bottom of those cracks. Maybe just fill in with something and cover with outdoor carpeting. My dog's paws fall into crack so he refuses to walk on sidewalk and goes long way around house in yard to get to back door.

Old 09-23-16, 09:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You could pour a slurry of concrete into the wider crack [not sure if that will penetrate the narrow crack] and then keep an eye on it.

Old 09-23-16, 10:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 966 Votes on 887 Posts
You mentioned that the previous owner did not install gutters. Did you install gutters? If not that would be a good place to start.

Old 09-23-16, 03:02 PM
F
Definitely getting gutters. Already had guy out for estimate and will do in two weeks.

Old 09-27-16, 06:14 PM
F
Sachco SLAB

Found this product for concrete repair. Supposed to be able to fix cracks up to 3" wide. What do you think about trying this on my huge fissures?

Shop the Slab Official Store

Old 10-24-16, 04:29 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
no idea of the material you posted but i'd guess they're buying someone else's mt & having it packaged in their own tubes,,, same w/the backer rod

cost is an issue so here's what i recommend,,, 1 can of foam-in-a-can from the apron store - fill to within 1" of the surface,,, insert backer rod & seal w/sika's sl poyurethane sealant,,, there is backer rod made to 'fit' this crack however its pointless to try to buy the quantity you need + apron/vest stores don't sell it,,, twist the 3/4" over itself &, using a margin trowel, place it in the crk so you have 3/8" clearance left between the rod & top of conc,,, sealants typically need 3/8" thickness to perform sufficiently

good luck !

Old 10-24-16, 06:24 AM
F
I used two tubes of sika for 2 smaller cracks. Very hard to push out with caulk gun. Near end the can splits from pressure and remaining goop goes everywhere. I don't think I want use that stuff again. My hands so sore afterwards. Need a powered caulk gun.

Found online website that sells backer up to 3" in diameter. But about $6 for 4 feet and shipping minimum of $8. Not cost effective unless buy in bulk. I like your idea of twisting two together. The largest they have ar big box store is 3/4" but alwsys out of stock.

Old 10-24-16, 07:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I wonder if your tubes of sika caulk were old? I've used a caulking gun more than most and have never seen a need for a powered caulk gun although there is a big difference between a cheap caulking gun and a quality gun. I detest a cheap caulking! It's been a decade since I bought one but I paid just under $20 then ...... and they last a long time.

Old 10-24-16, 10:17 AM
F
I paid $20 for good caulking gun. Pretty easy first half of tube but Sika got thicker and thicker. Probably old tubes of Sika. Stuff doesn't move from big box store shelf much. But don't know whether I can know if getting fresher stuff online.

Old 10-25-16, 04:10 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
find a pro supply house ! some specialize in conc repr materials - might google 'prosoco' & 'sika' OR meadows,,, we often sealed bridge/pavement jnts w/undersize rod by twisting,,, 1 can't carry ALL needed sizes on the truck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: