1/2" gap under brick facade and foundation slab after repair

Old 12-22-16, 08:46 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1/2" gap under brick facade and foundation slab after repair

This house had foundation repair with 6 pilings sunk deep in the ground to level the house. I notice there is about a 1/2" gap under the brick facade and the foundation slab across the back of the house about 6 feet. Leaves are halfway under and lots of ants/bugs.

The sidewalk along the back is sloped away from the house so water isn't rushing or pooling for very long. Rain gutters direct rain off roof to and the end of house. But in heavy downpour with wind blowing rain towards the house, it is definitely going to get wet.

I was wondering if I should fill in this gap or should I just leave it open? My home inspector before purchase didn't mention this (maybe didn't notice as he did poor inspection--he refunded my money after I complained about all the things I discovered after closing that he missed).

I was thinking about stuffing some round foam caulk saver under there. Don't know if I should try sealing it up or leave it open.

Old 12-23-16, 05:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
I'd fill it, mortar would be my first choice but backer rod and caulk should also work. Some say that weep holes are needed at the bottom of the brick so that's something to consider also.

Old 12-23-16, 06:42 AM
F
Still weep holes in bottom row of bricks

There are vertical weep holes on the bottom row of bricks. About every 3rd brick doesn't have mortar. Do the weep holes need to be at very bottom? If so, filling in gap may not be good idea. I could leave openings every 10 inches or so in whatever I put to fill gap.

Old 12-23-16, 07:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm a painter not a mason but I have noticed on the brick houses I've painted that some have weep holes and some do not. Hopefully one of the others will chime in with a better answer than me ..... but a gap every so often sounds good to me and you can always fill it in later if not needed.

Old 12-24-16, 12:08 AM
Received 952 Votes on 864 Posts
there is about a 1/2" gap under the brick facade and the foundation slab

A picture would really help.

Is the gap between the brick and the foundation due to the leveling?

If so I would agree some mortar work may be best to support the brick.

Old 12-24-16, 11:06 AM
F
Pic of gap

Here is a closeup of the gap between brick facade and slab. Can't see how far back it goes
t

Attached Images  
Old 12-24-16, 03:13 PM
Received 952 Votes on 864 Posts
Tough to say based on the picture, but if there is a gap between the row of bricks/mortar and foundation then I vote for installing a solid bed of mortar to support. With time it's going to sag and crack!!

Old 12-24-16, 03:29 PM
F
Poked a stick and it goes back as deep as the brick. Is it too cold to do mortar? Today probably okay 70 degrees but was below freezing couple days ago. Weather is very bipolar here in Mississippi.

Clean out debris and flush with water or air before? Need to pick day with no rain for how long and temp how high for 48 hours?I

Old 12-25-16, 03:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You can apply mortar in the rain providing you can keep it from getting rained on. Unless it gets a direct hit by hard rain or water run off it should be ok if it rains 8 hrs after the mortar is applied. The main thing with low temps is to make sure it doesn't freeze before it dries. If you expect the overnight temps to drop below freezing overnight you could lay hay [or whatever] against the bottom of the wall to insulate it. There is an additive you can add [similar to anti-freeze] to mortar but I don't know much about it.

Old 12-27-16, 07:57 AM
F
Structural repair concrete versus mortar

Which product would work best to fill in under gap? Mortar or Concrete. I am thinking a structural repair concrete (like QUIKRETEŽ Polymer Modified Structural Repair) might be a better product for this repair. Will it be stronger and stick better to both the brick above and concrete beneath than mortar?

Old 12-27-16, 08:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You want to use a mortar not a concrete mix which has gravel in it. I've not used the Quikrete's polymer modified mortar but it should do fine. I'd probably use S mortar [it's tougher than they typical N mortar]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: