Tuckpointing lime mortar and stone foundation

Old 03-06-17, 04:31 PM
S
Received 26 Votes on 18 Posts
Tuckpointing lime mortar and stone foundation

My house has a fieldstone foundation, and appears mostly to have the original lime mortar. It needs some tuckpointing repairs in some areas. Would using a Type N portland mortar be detrimental for small repairs? We're talking maybe 6 to 8 inch sections in 10-15 locations.

I've looked at having it redone by professional masons who are used to working with lime mortar, and the general impression I get is, they don't want to do a small job.

Old 03-06-17, 05:15 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Not that it would cause an issue but if you are contemplating doing the repair yourself with type N, why not do it with the lime mortar? You are close enough to the Philadelphia area to call or visit LimeWorks.us and they can give you the advice and products you would need.

Old 03-07-17, 08:31 AM
S
Received 26 Votes on 18 Posts
Thanks for the link! Those dry bags of mortar look interesting, and they have a distributor near me. The contractors were telling me they would be ordering pre-mixed 5 gallon pails and having them shipped in, which would drive up the cost.

My bigger concern is my absolute lack of knowledge regarding lime mortar. Even my portland mortar skills are very basic. Of course, for some small areas here and there, I probably can't screw it up too bad. I might give it a try.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: