Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Paver Discoloration

03-19-17, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Paver Discoloration

About a year ago we had paves installed. A handful of stones had to be replaced a few weeks later when some paint was splattered on them. Now, whenever it rains or gets wet, those particular stones get a chalky white discoloration to them. Wetting them down makes it go away, but after they dry it looks even worse.

Wondering what might be causing that. My initial thought was that the replacement stones were never sealed properly. If I apply sealer to those stones at this point do you think that would fix the issue? And if so, any recommendations for a paver sealer?

Also, after a little over a year I'm noticing quite a bit of sand between the paver joints has eroded away due to rain / heavy wind. The paver joints are large than most I've seen. But even so, how long should properly sealed paver joint last before starting to notice erosion?

Name:  pavers1.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  49.7 KBName:  pavers2.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  40.6 KB

Sponsored Links

MI

03-19-17, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)  
If you are comparing sealed vs unsealed pavers then you will definitly see a difference between them when dry vs wet. Good news is that it all wears off and eventually will look the same.

Personally I dont like sealant on any paver/concrete, it's a battle you will eventually loose trying to keep up that artificial look.

As far as the sand, did you use polymeric sand, it has a latex glue that help, not cures, the sand from eroding away.

03-19-17, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)  
I'm not sure what sand was originally used. I do know that all the pavers were installed, and a sealant was used over the entire area, including the joints. I feel like the areas where the sealant was used less or in patchy spots is where the majority of the joint erosion is happening.

I'm still trying a figure out why those individual stones that had to be replaced are turning chalky white after it rains and drys though. The majority of the stones were all sealed, so I'm wondering if those that were replaced were never 're-sealed', and if adding it now would help.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-20-17, 04:10 AM   #4 (permalink)  
The sealed pavers should bead water when they get wet.

Hard to say if sealing those individual pavers will make them look like the rest. Do you know what sealer was originally used? Not all sealers will change the look the same. It's also possible that the new pavers were made at a different time and will never completely match the others .... or were those pavers left over from the original install?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NC

03-20-17, 06:28 AM   #5 (permalink)  
There is often a color variation in pavers from batch to batch. So, even if you go by the same ones a few weeks later there is a good chance their color may be slightly different. I've also seen this with pavers of different sizes. Often the smaller sizes are sold in mixed sizes as one batch. But if you want to mix in bigger pieces like you have they are not part of the mix pack and come from a different production batch... and can have a color variation.

Just going by your pictures and time I would say you have regular sand. Polymeric sand is usually good for many, many years without having to do anything. My front paver walkway with polymeric is 8 years old and I still have never done any maintenance on it. Switching from plain sand to polymeric is a bit of a job as you have to remove the old sand between the joints before you can install the new. It can be done but it's more work than simply brushing on the new.

Search this Thread