Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to clean acrylic sealed concrete?

TX

04-19-17, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)  
How to clean acrylic sealed concrete?

I acid stained and used 2 coats of an acrylic solvent sealer on my concrete patio. Looked very good until it rained and my dog got mud prints all over the patio. I thought since it was sealed I would just be able to hose off the dirt. It looks real good when I get it wet, but when it dries the mud prints are still there. I ended up using some soap and a mild scrub brush and it got the prints off but it left some soap residue behind, and it also took a while. It is more of a pain then just having unsealed concrete. I thought sealing would make it easier to clean. Are there any easier ways to clean sealed concrete?

Thank you,

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

04-19-17, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Yep, you turned a maintenance free product into one now requiring maintenance.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-19-17, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)  
You'll have to train the dog to wipe his muddy feet

It shouldn't be a big deal to scrub with detergent and rinse off. Part of the price you pay for stained/sealed concrete. On the bright side you shouldn't get any deep stains like you would with unsealed concrete.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CANADA

04-21-17, 12:42 AM   #4 (permalink)  
Sealed concrete is non-porous, it resists most stains and is, therefore, exceptionally easy to clean and maintain. Sweep your concrete floor well. If you have a high-powered vacuum cleaner that will suck up the dirt, you can even use that instead.Use a dust mop after sweeping. This will remove small particles the broom (or vacuum) might have missed.

Mix warm water and a few drops of a mild detergent (dish detergent or a mild laundry detergent) in your mop bucket. Mop the floor with this solution. You can use any kind of mop you choose--standard or sponge. If concrete has greasy food stains, pour a little extra detergent (preferably dish detergent, in this case) on the stains and scrub it with the mop. You can use a soft-bristled brush or scrub pad to loosen stuck-on grime from the floor, if necessary.

Search this Thread