Help and advice in adding to cement porch

Old 05-08-17, 12:53 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help and advice in adding to cement porch

Hello,

I was looking for some advice on modifying my front porch. It is a three foot raised porch, supported by cement block, and topped with a 4.5” concrete slab.
When the house was built the previous owners carved out a small triangle at the end of the porch, approximately the last size feet measuring the front of the porch, to zero feet at the back, to create a garden area. I have decided to remove it.
I demolished the bricks, which contained a wrought iron support column ( I have a dead man installed and will replaced with 4x4, wrapped with vinyl fencing). I removed 6-8 courses of brick work and arrived at concrete block, which I was told by another home owner went down 8 feet until the concrete foundation. I plan to add to the block 3-4 courses to arrive at same height where the concrete slab begins, then back fill with old brick and dirt, tamp down, and install an new slab to continue where the old leaves off. Approximately 6x6x6’ (6 square feet slab or .22 square yds)
Questions:
1. Should I be using rebar in the wall? I have not found any yet, but thought that since it was a support wall maybe I should. I was thinking of adding concrete into base concrete block, then installing rebar upwards, after completing wall addition I would pour concrete in as grout to solidify the wall.
2. Should I connect the wall to the existing wall? I was thinking of wall anchors or maybe rebar into existing wall.
3. I was only going to replace the brick with block and pour new slab, do you think that is enough to support slab? I could drill and epoxy some rebar into old porch and pour new slab over rebar.

Before:

Dug out:

Bricks removed:

Thanks for any help or advice, it is greatly apprciated.

Snoopy_

Old 05-08-17, 03:26 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It sounds like you have enough support if the neighbor gave you the correct info. Consider ICFs instead of stacking new block over what you have.

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...170ar_5540.jpg

It can be scribed, to the existing wall

Old 05-08-17, 06:33 PM
S
ICFs look like they are expensive... $339 for a bundle of 20 at HD.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: