Brick veneer application on a shed

Old 06-10-17, 08:01 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Brick veneer application on a shed

I built a backyard garden shed. I am nearing the end of the project, but need help with getting it ready for rock veneer application.
The shed is built into a hill, so the sides have a staggered block wall. I plan to install stone veneer along the lower half of the front and sides. Where the wall is wood, I have two layers of roofing felt and steel lathe under a scratch coat.
My problem is this scratch coat sticks out 3/4"-1" from the block wall. I am not sure how to get the veneer installed when there is a difference between the scratch coat and block wall.
Any and all suggestions would be great. I have installed stone veneer before, but this is a little outside my league.

Name:  veneer.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  51.3 KB

Name:  wall.jpg
Views: 1597
Size:  48.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-17, 08:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
First, you put mesh and a scratch coat ONLY over your wood sheathing? Why? Your wire mesh and scratch coat should also have been applied to the block all the way to the brick ledge (footing) so that its all on the same plane. Where is the footing? All I see is dirt. There are also supposed to be scratches in your scratch coat. The whole idea is to give it some texture to help the veneer bond.

Old 06-10-17, 08:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
Is that a scratch coat or cement board?

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 06-10-17, 09:06 AM
T
Brick Veneer Suggestions

The home store I was at did not have a scratch coat tool. They suggested running a trowel with 1/4" teeth over the surface to provide texture. The area with top areas in the pics are "scratch coat" over metal lathe.
I was also told the veneer can go directly on the block and to just build up the thickness on the block using mortar. It sounded good, but was tough to get 3/4" of mortar to stick to the block. Therefore I am looking for suggestions!

This shed is just built on a slab. No footings. It is just a 10'x12' garden shed.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Old 06-10-17, 10:37 AM
T
Scratch coat on metal lathe over two layers of roofing felt.

Old 06-10-17, 10:54 AM
T
I was told to put the paper and lathe over the wood and apply the veneer directly to the block. The shed is built on a slab. The block is on the slab. No footings.

Old 06-11-17, 05:26 PM
T
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You do not have to build out the block all at once. Put on about half th thickness, rake it or use the notch trowel or whatever then when it has set put on the next coat. If you time it right you will have perfect suction for the second pass. If you let it set and dry too long you might need to moisten it before the second coat. If your original scratch coat is nice and straight screed off of it to straighten the bottom.

Old 06-13-17, 06:05 AM
T
Thanks! I appreciate the input.