Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Bricks, Masonry, Cinder Block, Paving & Walking Stones, Asphalt and Concrete
Reload this Page >

Will new driveway asphalt layer stick to the concrete patches I've already done?

Will new driveway asphalt layer stick to the concrete patches I've already done?

Old 06-14-17, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

The frugal hard working guy that I am, I keep extending the life of this long asphalt driveway by repairing cracks. However in two large places totaling 70 square feet, the existing crumbled asphalt needed to be taken out. Since I found no product in Home Depot that would work in those areas, I mixed and laid down 3" thick reinforced concrete patches which works fine.

However some day I will need the driveway repaved. QUESTION: When that time comes, will the new asphalt on top sufficiently adhere to the large concrete patches? Or have I shot myself in the foot?

Dave
Montclair, NJ

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-17, 04:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
I can't give you a definitive answer but over the years I've seen quite a few concrete roads get paved over with asphalt so I'd think it would be ok.