Dangerous concrete step

Old 06-30-17, 05:02 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dangerous concrete step

Any ideas for a simple, safe remedy for this "false step" outside my slider?

A kid smashed his head tripping on this recently, so I'd like to do something about it.

Thanks for any input.

Name:  IMG_3865.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3866.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  46.2 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 06-30-17 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Rotate and separate images.
Old 06-30-17, 09:40 PM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I'm not qualified on concrete like other guys in this forum.But I have to go to Lowes or Home Depot tomorrow. I'll be glad to take this photo and see if I can come up with a safe, non-permanent solution if you want.

Old 07-01-17, 03:46 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
That sure is a tripping hazard; looks to be about an inch! It's always tough to get some kind of cementitious product that will feather-edge and last. My thought is an aluminum threshold something like this: NGP 954: 1" x 6" Aluminum Interlocking Ramp Component by Automatic Door and Hardware It makes up the difference in height and contrasts with the adjacent concrete to call attention to a change in height. These aren't cheap (but neither is a lawsuit), but with a little searching, you may be able to find something similar that's less expensive. NGP is a commercial grade manufacturer and their prices reflect that.

Old 07-01-17, 05:30 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Blaze,
If tapering that from house to the lower level would be acceptable it is actually a rather easy job with the right approach. I had to add a taper over about 14" where the mason failed to do so for a large garage door. Can be done DIY or a mason.

Since the advent of diamond blades cutting concrete is now easy.

Bud

Old 07-01-17, 07:25 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I'm thinking a simple solution would be some swimming pool edge rubber mats. I assume that you can find one that is tapered at the leading edge.

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/swi...bber-tile.html

Old 07-01-17, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I know someone around here that just painted that strip a very bright color to make it noticeable. Probably the worst idea of the bunch, but just another option and thought I'd mention it anyway.

Old 07-01-17, 09:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
This year the city came through and ground down places in sidewalk. We had bumps like that or bigger.

Old 07-01-17, 12:33 PM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I went to Lowes and Home Depot today. I found wooden door and window bases in the building materials section that might possibly work. These have a taper. But I don't know if the height and taper is enough for your application.

Or you could take a wooden plank and cut a gradual taper. Then you could paint it for visibility like someone mentioned. Lowes would probably saw the diagonal cut if you bought the wood there. Then you need to anchor the wooden piece to the concrete somehow.

Maybe not the best idea. Best I could do for now

Last edited by bluesbreaker; 07-01-17 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-01-17, 04:19 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My parents had a similar issue at their house after a concrete slab on their front walk settled almost an inch. They didn't think much of it until the mailman hooked his foot and took a tumble. He shoved a note through the mail slot, warning that delivery would stop unless the hazard was fixed.

My Dad had a thick 3' x 5' rubber mat with beveled edges, so he trimmed off one bevel and pushed the flat edge against the face of the false step. Not only did that create a ramp-like transition between the two slabs, but also gave a visual warning due to the colour change between the mat and concrete.

The mat remained there for a couple of weeks without complaint from the mailman or paperboy, until I could get over there to re-level the slab.

I don't know the brand of the mat, but I've seen similar ones at Home Depot. It was about 5/8" thick with a solid dimpled traction surface (not the wiggly water-trapping "noodles"). Looked like this:

Name:  rubber-beveled-edge.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  49.9 KB

These kinds of mats come in all sorts of sizes, including long runners that could extend far to either side of your sliding door. Might be worth a try, at least for a temporary solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: