Contractor did not properly cover new concrete before rain...

Old 07-22-17, 08:38 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Contractor did not properly cover new concrete before rain...

So, my contractor, after having left the jobsite for 2 months finally came back to finish his job of putting in a drain and part of a slab that was broken.

Now, inside the concrete looks pretty good, outside he covered up the area by putting a tarp on the deck above, but obviously as it rained (i wasnt home) that leaked heavily on the new concrete in front of the basement walkout. Before i left he said he would also put plastic on over it directly, but clearly didnt do that. It was already raining when he was doing the concrete work (at the time i twas not leaking) and he knew storms were coming.

I came home later that night to this: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Name:  c1.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  c2.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  18.9 KB

Name:  c3.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  34.9 KB

Name:  c4.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  31.8 KB

Name:  c5.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  25.7 KB

The grates were not fitted in so now they do not fit as the concrete pushed against the drain. A bunch of concrete washed away and most likely ended up in the s trap on the inside (can we clean this out of an S trap, i guess we have a cleanout, but you can see the water was murky. I hope this doesnt set up in there). The concrete also has a white fluffy color, something it does not have on the inside.

Should i have him come back to repair? He said he would. However, to make sure, what is the proper repair for this? I think online i read grinding off the top 1/4? But what then? some thinset concrete?

Any help would be appreciate. He said he would come back to fix it, but i want to make sure i know how it has to be fixed also.

Last edited by PJmax; 07-22-17 at 09:50 AM. Reason: added pics from link
Old 07-22-17, 09:31 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
If the exterior slab is the area around the drain which is not too big, and the grates do not fit, the only solution I see is to tear it up and replace.

Anything involving a skim coat will eventually come off, especially exterior.

He messed up, he should fix.

Old 07-22-17, 09:42 AM
B
I believe the interior and exterior connect under the door. You are telling me he needs to rip the whole thing out and repour that outside area. A 2 inch skim coat is going to come off? I could cut the grate covers a bit on the table saw, take off 1/16 and they should probably fit.

Benjamin

Old 07-22-17, 09:45 AM
B
The outside had a 4 foot footing though that was poured by him last month, the last 10 inches to make it level and put the grate in was done yesterday. He seems to indicate its a small fix. There is rebar in the top inch that is tied in on the sides (stairs)

Old 07-22-17, 11:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Just so you are aware.... only one thread is allowed for a topic... and this is yours.

Old 07-22-17, 11:43 AM
B
Sorry, i didnt know if it had been posted in the right bucket.

Old 07-22-17, 07:22 PM
B
Anyone else have any ideas?

Old 07-22-17, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
I can move it if you'd like. It looks like a busy weekend for the pros so it may take another day to get another response.

I'm not a pro in this field but it doesn't look like a skim coat is going to be the best repair.

Old 07-23-17, 07:32 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
You are in a cold climate and with moisture getting in there due to being patched it is only a matter of time before the patch has problems. the issue is, who is going to come back 5 years from now to repair that patch, or even one year. It needs to be removed and new concrete poured to get the results you paid for. if he continues to refuse to replace it ask for the name of his insurance company so they can send an adjuster out to determine a solution. Doubtful he will want to involve his insurance so that might motivate him to do it right. If he won't give you the name of his insurance talk to your home owners rep to see if he has access to to that information. You can make a claim against his insurance without him.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: