White Mortar

Old 08-06-17, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
White Mortar

My house was built n the 50's, is made of brick and the mortar or cement between them is white. I guess you call that a brick veneer???

I need to replace a few damaged bricks but everyone must be keeping the white mortar in a secret hiding place because I can't find it.

I know nothing about mortar/cement/concrete .......... is there a product I need to be looking for or do I have to mix up a batch using different stuff??

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-17, 03:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
LOL, no one is hiding white mortar, from you. Mortar will turn white when it sets.

Old 08-06-17, 05:34 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Go to a local brick distributor and take a sample of the mortar you have, they can match it. You also may have to buy white sand if that is what they used when they built the house. Unfortunately, you will have to buy a large bag of masonry mortar in the color you need, they don't sell it in small bags. You won't find it at the box stores.

Old 08-06-17, 05:57 PM
Yes, white sand is another way to accomplish that but I don't think that it's necessary. Test it & see.

Old 08-06-17, 10:58 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I wonder if white thinset mortar would be strong enough for a few bricks? Maybe try adding white sanded grout to regular motor mix to lighten the color? Never tried either. Just wondering. Either would be available in small quantities. What say you pros, yea or nea?

Old 08-07-17, 03:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 147 Posts
Mortar with brown sand will never get as white as the same mortar mixed with white sand.
I'd be more concerned with matching the brick than the mortar.

Old 08-07-17, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the replies

All I have seen at the box stores is the common mortar that dries gray.

The brick on my house is gray and I have spare brick left over from its construction. If I used anything but white mortar the repair would really stand out.

So it looks like I'll be taking a sample to a brick distributer.

Last edited by sybaris; 08-07-17 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-07-17, 06:34 AM
Which mortar dries gray? If you are looking for mortar that is white before you mix it, you can forget about it.

Old 08-07-17, 06:59 AM
QUIKRETE 60-lb Gray Type - N Mortar Mix.

Yes, I was looking for mortar that is white before you mix it hence the thread and the best answer was already given by czizzi.

Have a nice day!

Old 08-07-17, 10:56 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I have not tried to get white masonry cement for years.
If you can't get white masonry cement get white Portland cement and add your own lime to it.
Problem is white Portland is expensive and you will have to buy a 94# bag unless a supplier sells 47# bags. You might talk to a pool plastering company. Pool plaster is white Portland. Don't be tempted to buy white aggregate there. They use white marble for aggregate and you want white silica sand. But I have gotten plenty white stucco with white Portland and lime and common sand or white masonry and common sand.
No matter what you will need to visit a masonry supplier or stucco and plaster yard to get something white.