Asphalt driveway pot hole near dry well

Old 08-07-17, 09:59 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Asphalt driveway pot hole near dry well

I have a dry well in my asphalt driveway. Both constructed a little over 10 years ago by previous owner. Over this past winter, am appox 2 foot by 2 foot section of asphalt caved in near the dry well. I attributed it to a snow storm where it was a very heavy and slushy snow. It was so heavy, I only shoveled it to clear a path enough for the car to get to the garage. By the dry well, there was a mound of this heavy slush that turned to ice. A month later I noticed the damage starting to develop. As it continued to get worse, it was finally repaired by a blacktop company where they patched that section. They didn't seem to think anything was wrong aside from just having been compromised. That was three months ago, and now I noticed right next to the patch area, it's sinking in again. The company is going to stop by and take a look. I think I will need it patched an additional foot or two to the Belgium block edge (it's not sinking that far but figured might as well to patch to the edge). A friend is telling me it is more likely an issue with the dry well- and that is what is causing the sinking of the asphalt. The dry well is not that old, and when looking down it, I don't see anything that looks like the dirt or gravel underneath the driveway made it's way into the dry well. Also, when the orignal pot hole was exposed, I had poured water into it to see if any made its way into the dry well but I did not see that happen.
Has anyone had this happen near a dry well, and know what the cause could be? My father mentioned he saw a lot of parking lots that appear to have patches around the dry well cover, so I am wondering if it is common to have asphalt compromised near dry-wells. Any advice provided would be greatly appreciated. I am worried this may turn into a much larger expense than anticipated.

Thanks.

Old 08-07-17, 10:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,596 Votes on 1,471 Posts
A dry well in your driveway ?
Do you mean you have a grate over a dry well in your driveway ?

Old 08-07-17, 11:16 AM
M
Yes, the dry well is underneath the driveway, with a metal grate over the dry well, and the asphalt surrounding the grate. The sinking that occurred was close to the grate.

Old 08-07-17, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,596 Votes on 1,471 Posts
I'd imagine between the water and the weight of the asphalt and the cars that the driveway will continue to settle. Especially with the water coming thru the grate and helping to pack the soil under the rock.

I can't help but think that this will be a continuous problem.

Old 08-13-17, 12:23 PM
M
I completely agree with PJ that this is going to be a continuing problem. Unless that dry well was constructed with a concrete box around it the soil around it is also pressing into it from the sides causing the soil around it to drop in elevation which is what is causing your potholes. Putting the drive while under the driveway was a very stupid and unorthodox thing to do. If they felt there was a need for drainage in the driveway they should've put in a trench drain across the driveway and put a dry well off to the side of the driveway..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: