best way to fix driveway

Old 09-08-17, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
best way to fix driveway

On the property here we have a driveway that goes over a culvert and into the yard. It was concreted long before I came out here and the first 1/4 of it has just been falling apart over the decades.

We recently just got nailed by hurricane harvey and the driveway/yard literally became a river for 3 days. This has caused quite a bit of errosion and now there are a bunch of even deeper potholes full of broken concrete etc. The first 1/4 of the driveway Its is basically a mixture of dirt, broken concrete, grass, etc.

My goal isnt cosmetic. It doesnt look bad, its just a rough riding coming in and out. I'm trying to figure out the best way to fill the potholes and level it all out for a smoother ride.

Dirt will smooth it out, but will in time erode away and becomes muddy when it rains.

I feel like quikrete would crack and break over time and i'll be back at square 1. But I know my options are limited as long as im only wanting to patch the problem.

is there some gravel/dirt mixture that wont get muddy when wet and can withstand errosion?

I keep falling back to quikrete as the only real option

​​

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-17, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator
There's what is called "crusher run" or "driveway mix". It's basically jagged crushed stone with all sorts of fines and stone dust mixed in, so that when it's been wetted down and compacted, it becomes hard and almost solid. Now, this needs to be 3+ inches (I think) to work correctly, otherwise rain will just wash the dust out (instead of in) and you'll have a loose mix of gravel.

We used it all the time in OH and VA for driveways, back parking lots, residential parking, etc. I saw it at almost every military base for large parking lots or storage.

Old 09-09-17, 03:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I agree with using crusher run although most any gravel will be better than using dirt.

Old 09-09-17, 11:21 AM
Thanks guys. Sounds about what I want but I cant seem to find that stuff anywhere. Atleast, not where I can get it. Looks like gravel/stone places may be where to ask.

Old 09-09-17, 12:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I don't know if you can buy small amounts of crusher run or not - I've always bought it by the dump truck load. Most any type of gravel will work better than dirt as it's harder for rain to wash away rock as a opposed to soil.

Old 09-09-17, 05:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Here it's called crushed recycle. Any stone yard would have it. Home Depot sells bags of gravel but you may need more than you think. Post some pics if you feel like it.

Old 09-22-17, 11:46 PM
update

Thanks for the ideas guys. I did surrender to convenience and decided to just get boring quikrete and it seems to have done the patch job well afterall. We'll see how it handles the years ahead though