Filling in dirt section between driveways

Old 09-09-17, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Filling in dirt section between driveways

We bought our home recently and it has two double driveways, one to the garage and a second to the parking slab along one side of the house. In between these driveways there is a 4 foot wide dirt section where there was some ugly bushes. We tore them out with ease because of the sandy soil. Now we have a bad looking dirt and weed area there that we would like to fill. If I were to do concrete here, and scooped the sand out to about 4 inches, would I still need to build forms in here? I was thinking that besides some expansion joints, I would maybe just need to pour the concrete in and finish it. It wouldn't need to hold the weight of vehicles. Any tips here? Or should I just forget this and fill it all with river rock instead?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-17, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 185 Posts
I would consider something decorative like pavers or brick.

Old 09-09-17, 04:37 PM
Thanks. I guess that is another affordable option. I see Lowes has brick pavers on sale for .25 each.

Old 09-09-17, 04:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I vote for pavers too. Just make sure that there is a decent pitch to the driveway so water doesn't accumulate. There is no problem now since the water drains through the dirt. If you wanted to take an easy/cheap way out, remove a few inches of dirt & put some #8 gravel there which is also good for drainage.

Old 09-09-17, 04:56 PM
Thanks. It has a good pitch to it. Notice the sand and dirt accumulated at the bottom of the drive in the picture.