Balcony concrete floor paint/sealer that can handles heavy snow melt?

Old 09-20-17, 07:25 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Balcony concrete floor paint/sealer that can handles heavy snow melt?

Hi all, refinishing a little balcony in the front of the house. Currently it's just bare concrete - never stained or painted - but it's showing it's age and I'd like to try to spruce it up and maybe extend it's life a bit.

TLR version: Need suggestion for paint or covering to go on old, weathered, unfinished concrete balcony that can handle the moisture load of a lot of snow melting on it AND handle some moderate use (two rocking chairs with metal runners we use all summer).

I was going to just use either an epoxy paint or something like behrs granite shield product - both are good for outdoor use on concrete based on what I've read, HOWEVER. I called behr directly to ask and was told that they don't sell anything that will last if left in standing water. Like for example a large amount of snow left to melt on the surface for the season.
Since this is exactly what's going to happen (too hard to keep the snow clear given the space) I'm hoping someone knows of a product that might be able to handle it. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Old 09-20-17, 10:07 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't think that there is any product in a can that will handle that. At best, some rubberized flooring tiles might protect it for the winter.

Old 09-21-17, 03:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I tend to shy away from thick coatings over concrete as there is a whole host of issues that can arise and cause early failure. When pressed to apply a coating I'll recommend a solid concrete stain. They will wear away with traffic but rarely ever peel and don't need a lot of prep when it's time to recoat. I don't know how well they hold up to snow as it's usually a short lived event in tenn.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: