Just had stumps ground...trying to get asphalt driveway installed.

Old 09-20-17, 01:57 PM
Just had stumps ground...trying to get asphalt driveway installed.

After getting my stumps ground, I decided that it was a good idea to have an Asphalt driveway installed. The contractor came to my house and advised me that having the stumps ground was a really bad idea.

He said that he cannot warranty his work in the area where the stumps had been ground. He said that the area will be constantly breaking and that he will constantly provide the materials but I'd have to pay labor each time it broke.

What kind of life is that to live?

There are a finite amount of contractors in my area and the other guy doesn't seem to be concerned about the stumps but seems shady.

What's up with the stumps being ground being a huge no-no? What can be done besides graveling the whole driveway?

The stumps remains are from 3 foot diameter maple trees. If you stand on the remains, they do squish squish quite a bit. The driveway used to be 1-2 inches of crush and run but the guys who did the stump grinding conveniently left all the mulch behind. It is now all over my driveway and I can't get rid of it.

I don't get the contractor, he has been calling me to get the work but remains adamant about not warrantying that area. He seems to think that I'd enjoy him sitting in my yard every 6 months to fix this thing and paying constantly to repair it. I must come across as a rich guy or something.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-17, 02:02 PM
Group Moderator
The wood decaying will cause the ground to sink. I think your contractor is telling the truth.

If you want a driveway there, you need to excavate all of that soil and wood and replace.

Old 09-20-17, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by stickshift View Post
The wood decaying will cause the ground to sink. I think your contractor is telling the truth.

If you want a driveway there, you need to excavate all of that soil and wood and replace.
I mean, I get that sense too.....but it disturbs me that he is dying for work that could leave me in a pinch.

Are most asphalt guys in a position to excavate? Sometimes I feel like certain places want to charge you more for tools that they did not properly invest in.

My recent yard work comes to mind. Guys bringing broken chainsaws and weed eaters to my yard....(probably broken on purpose so they didn't have to do their jobs). They borrowed my nearly discharged electric weed eater and had the nerve to ask me why I'd buy a simple electric weed eater as opposed to a gasoline one.

Old 09-20-17, 02:10 PM
Agree. That wood clippings will rot and sink and cause the asphalt to sink. Your first contactor is trying to steer you clear of the other guy and give you a quality product.

Old 09-20-17, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Norm201 View Post
Agree. That wood clippings will rot and sink and cause the asphalt to sink. Your first contactor is trying to steer you clear of the other guy and give you a quality product.
How do you see him as giving me a quality product if he is adamant on doing work that he knows will break every 6 months? It's not like I am begging him to do the work the wrong way. I am confused.

Old 09-20-17, 04:51 PM
He's telling you that with those ground up chips the base is not stable and he will not warrant the job. He is telling you that if you want the asphalt put in as is, then expect to hire him every 6 months. Of course he's calling you, knowing there are limited contractors and why not? He may as well get the job as well as anybody else.

However, ask him to quote you a new gravel base and what will it take for him to warrant the job for a number of years.

The other guy could care less if you have a bad base. He want the job, quick and dirty and who cars if you need to call him again in 6 months. At east the other guy is giving you fair warning of a bad job ensuing.

Stickshift and myself are telling you the same thing. You must evacuate all the existing gravel with the wood chips and start with fresh gravel with the proper depth and compacted properly.

Old 09-21-17, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Norm201 View Post
He's telling you that with those ground up chips the base is not stable and he will not warrant the job. He is telling you that if you want the asphalt put in as is, then expect to hire him every 6 months. Of course he's calling you, knowing there are limited contractors and why not? He may as well get the job as well as anybody else.

However, ask him to quote you a new gravel base and what will it take for him to warrant the job for a number of years.

The other guy could care less if you have a bad base. He want the job, quick and dirty and who cars if you need to call him again in 6 months. At east the other guy is giving you fair warning of a bad job ensuing.

Stickshift and myself are telling you the same thing. You must evacuate all the existing gravel with the wood chips and start with fresh gravel with the proper depth and compacted properly.
Thank you. I thought you meant the other way around as far as contractor 1 and 2. Well they said that they would get rid of all the wood chips but that as long as any traces of the ground stump remain they cannot warranty the job.

Even with a new gravel base he is refusing to warranty that area.

I have to wonder why he is not into excavating all of the existing materials. Again, I am curious if it's normal for Asphalt guys to not have the materials or tools to excavate everything??

Am I supposed to be hiring 2 separate contractors? One to excavate and one to put down the asphalt?

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Old 09-21-17, 02:03 PM
I'm sure that most of this Contractor's Clients are not in the same predicament as you,, trying to put a new driveway right where large trees had been growing until very recently, so acquiring a back hoe or a dozer just for dealing with such an occasional customer wouldn't make much sense . . . . and he'd have to increase his bids to pay for the seldom used equipment.

Old 09-21-17, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Vermont View Post
I'm sure that most of this Contractor's Clients are not in the same predicament as you,, trying to put a new driveway right where large trees had been growing until very recently, so acquiring a back hoe or a dozer just for dealing with such an occasional customer wouldn't make much sense . . . . and he'd have to increase his bids to pay for the seldom used equipment.
This makes logistical sense. Tons of sense. Thanks.

Old 09-21-17, 05:56 PM
Stumps and roots should have been removed with an excavator or backhoe, not ground.
Never once seen a paving company even owning one.
Why would they spend all that money for a piece of equipment that 99.9% of the time they would never need?