Diverting water from comming in door openings in lower level.

Old 09-25-17, 09:38 AM
Diverting water from comming in door openings in lower level.

I live on a small island in Panama. The property runs from the sea to rain forest. The bottom floor is a cement foundation with walls about 18" above grade. in one corner are openings for 2 doors and a sliding window( no glass, walls on the bottom floor are re-bar and screen. We have been filling land in the back to dry things out and now are having a problem with water coming in the door openings which are about 12 inches below the foundation wall. I don't think french drains would help as the land is fairly level around the house, and there would be no downhill area for the water to run.

I am thinking of building a second 6" foundation wall and footing a couple of inches higher than the sills around the entire corner Probably running about 3' out from the existing walls so we can maintain our entry. My concern is that water may rise to the top level inside the wall and continue to come over the sills into the bottom floor. This does not happen with normal rain, but torrential downpours are common in the rain forest.

For now I put a bilge pump and switch in a hole I made and finished in the concrete floor which removes the water. I would like a permanent solution and would appreciate any help or advice I can get as I don't want to do the wall project and not have it do the job.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-17, 10:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Am I understanding that the water runs in because you built the yard up too high?
pics could be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 09-25-17, 11:53 AM
Group Moderator
Knowing what tropical rains can be like I would grade the ground so the water runs away from the door and house in general.