Cracks in basement wall

Old 10-02-17, 04:13 AM
Cracks in basement wall

My house is over 100 years old, but over the past years I've noticed a few new cracks in the basement walls near where the previous owners had the block windows replaced.

One in particular concerns me because it's on the side of the house that gets the most ground water (against a hill).

I'd like to patch this best I can before winter, but I know I'm only going to be able to dig so far. Also what to attempt to patch it with? I wouldn't think any kind of mortar or cement would make it into that fine of a crack.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-17, 04:54 AM
Those cracks don't seem very bad. Seems like age and very small amount of settling. That second pic (I assume that is the one you're mainly concerned about) does not seem to go down below ground level. I would just use a mortar or cement repair patch to keep out water and freezing and take a wait and see attitude. How does the inside look. Are the walls beginning to bow inward?

Old 10-02-17, 05:12 AM
That's the same crack, two pics on the inside and one of the outside.

On this one grade starts just below the window blocks. It's hard to tell in the photos, but on the inside the crack continues to 2-3 feet above the floor. I have a similar crack on the other side of the house, but it's the same thing. Starting at where they cut the blocks to install the windows.

My main concern is water getting in and freezing over the winter and making it worse.

Thx

Old 10-02-17, 05:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
In conjunction with a paint job I usually scratch out the crack a little with my putty knife and caulk the crack. Obviously the more you dig down and do on the exterior the better.

Old 10-02-17, 06:18 AM
Group Moderator
I would recommend that you private message Stadry... one of our members here, and ask him his opinion, in case he doesn't see this thread and reply. There is likely some type of epoxy that he will recommend, along with easing the cause of the pressure somehow, perhaps with different backfill before it gets worse.

Your crack is likely from the soil pressing in on a weak spot on the foundation. Be sure gutters and such are not overflowing, try to limit the amount of drainage that makes it to the area. You could excavate and apoly a temporary fix but no sense digging it twice.

Old 10-02-17, 06:20 AM
Any particular product you like to use?

My coworker seems to think I should let it be until spring. His thinking is the gound is hard/compacted now. If I dig and disturb it the frost line may go lower than if I did it next year in the spring.

Old 10-04-17, 03:24 PM
I sent Stadry a message.

I was in the basement earlier today and I'm pretty sure I can see more daylight in the crack than I could yesterday. I can't find anything in particular with my structure or the ground that could be causing more shifting than normal. The only thing that stands out is it has been very dry lately. I don't think it's rained any measurable amount in the past 3 weeks or so. Hundredth of an inch here and there. But the last real rain was .25" on 9/7/17.

Old 10-04-17, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
If you have a long 2x4 that is straight as an arrow, use it as a straightedge. Place the 1 1/2" wide side against the wall right across the bottom of the window... have the 2x4 centered on the crack. As you hold it level (horizontal) see if it rocks on the crack... or if the wall is still straight.

Old 10-05-17, 03:15 PM
I did that real quick using a 4' level as a straight edge. No bowing in the wall near the crack that I can tell.

I understand old settling cracks, but not knowing why this guy recently started spreading me is freaking me out.

Old 10-05-17, 04:28 PM
If you want it fixed right there are companies that come out and inject epoxy into the cracks to seal permanently.

Have had it done on a couple of prior homes and it's really the best option.

Old 02-24-18, 04:56 AM
apologies - never saw thread til now - whatever happened ?