Garage - how remedy water penetration? (above-grade CMUs)

Old 10-15-17, 06:50 PM
Garage - how remedy water penetration? (above-grade CMUs)

I have a detached garage, which I believe is fairly new, but which increasingly has issues with humidity and water seepage. I'm in northern-ish Ontario, so we get a diverse mix of weather and sometimes extremely cold winters (rarely, dipping as low as -40C). I believe the main problem here is the lack of water removal from the roof - one edge of the "V" roof has no eaves-trough. The other edge does but there's no down-spout, so the water runs to the end of the trough and pours straight onto a gravel driveway, which eventually makes a large puddle and continually splashes the wall. This occurs at the corner shown in these photos. In addition to the efflorescence in some areas, it looks like the mortar or whatever has been used between the blocks is receding away from them.

Aside from rectifying the issues with the eaves, what should I do to to further keep out water? Is it worthwhile to re-mortar the joints first?

There are many products touted for foundation sealing work, from penetrative sealants to fibre or liquid "rubber" compounds and such, but most seem to be aimed at below grade applications. That would probably be fine barring a lack of UV resistance, but some easily available ones (example: Blue Seal waterproofer) are unsightly without additional work.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-17, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
Aside from rectifying the issues with the eaves, what should I do to to further keep out water?
I'm not the pro in this forum but I do know it's key to collect and move the rainwater away from the building. There should not be any places of standing water near the building. It sounds like there needs to be some regrading to move the water away.

Old 10-16-17, 04:15 PM
Got a real mess on your hands there.
I would tuck point the mortar first including where it sits on the slab, (joint needs to be ground out about 1/2" deep with a diamond blade on a 4-1/2" right angle grinder)
Water proof the slab to block area, once dry backfill that area above the slab so grade runs away from the foundation.
Post a picture further back so we can see the roof and whole side of the garage.

Old 10-16-17, 06:44 PM
It's too dark for a photo now, but I already had the one below which shows a little better what's going on. My first priority should be installing a downspout on that gutter... The bricks help to direct the splashing water away, but only if it's not windy.

@joecaption, will the mortar between the blocks also need to be partially removed, or just above the the slab? And what method of waterproofing would you recommend?

Attached Images  
Old 10-16-17, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator
There's no downspout on the gutter???? What the heck were they thinking?

You may find that just moving the runoff 6 ft away and re-pointing the mortar will solve the majority of the issue. You may then be able to get away with a sealer that can be sprayed or rolled on the exterior of the block. Sure, it may need to be re-done as much as yearly...but a 15 min/$35 job vs a multiple day Professionally done/$500++ job?? Hmmm, how long do you intend to live there?

Old 10-17-17, 03:56 AM
No idea, maybe there was an open rain barrel there at one time?

​​