Need to patch LARGE cracks in concrete patio and driveway

Old 10-18-17, 06:12 AM
Need to patch LARGE cracks in concrete patio and driveway

My house had foundation repair before I purchased a year ago. This left cracks in concrete in patio and drive that is attached to house foundation slab. The cracks in most places go completely through the concrete. Most are 2-3" wide. The cracks have jagged edges. Any kind of polyurethane crack repair is not going to help. I need a temporary fix. The cracks haved started to crack into my foundation slab so need to do something soon before the cold winter arrives and really expands those cracks.

I am thinking about trying to fill in cracks using SIKA Concrete Bonding Adhesive and then either regular concrete mix or QuickSet. After that is cured, apply a one foot wide patch about 1-2 inches using vinyl patch like Top & Bond.

Anything suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-17, 06:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you do it in 3 steps like that you might be reducing the chance of bonding new to old. It might be better to fill the cracks with one product mixed with a bonding agent. If the cracks are that wide, a backing rod is a possibility. Before you do anything, try to find the cause. It sounds as if something is shifting. Can you post some pics?

Old 10-18-17, 07:21 AM
The CAUSE of the cracks is from foundation repair where house was lifted up and pilings placed underneath. It is obvious that the rain all summer has widened the cracks and I need to something. Also, a previous attempt to fix crack has clearly failed.

The very deep and wide cracks are filled with leaf and debris. I found backing rod at the bottom. That is my concern about using backing rod. It only attempts to bond the topmost part of the crack. I would like to attempt to fill the entire crack to perhaps effect a better bond.

I planned to clear out all debris and the clean out with high pressure water nozzle. Then thoroughly saturate the area around crack, paint the SIKA concrete bonding agent inside the cracks on each side, and then fill with patch concrete. That's really a single step. Then later I would apply TOP & BOND to try to even out the surface to fix tripping hazzard of uneven, different heights of each side of crack. I would thoroughly prep the surface with cleaner before attempting TOP & BOND.

I have attach two photos, one representative of the large cracks (there are many), and one of smaller crack that could be fix with SIKA concrete polyurethane crack repair.

Attached Images   
Old 10-18-17, 09:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You really have to move fast with any type of quick or rapid set. I'd stick with Quikcrete. The large cracks should hold. I would use a Type N mortar mix on the smaller cracks mixed with a bonding agent. Always remove loose pieces wherever you find them.

Old 10-18-17, 03:26 PM
Unfortunately when concrete cracks there is really no way to do a permanent repair, at best you will do a cosmetic patch that will come back quickly.