Concrete over concrete - bonding, thickness, reinforcement

Old 11-10-17, 02:40 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Concrete over concrete - bonding, thickness, reinforcement

Due to the level of my new garage slab, I'd like to have a couple extra inches of height on my concrete porch so there is at least a 4" step up from the new walkway (which will connect the new driveway to the porch). Is it okay to pour new concrete on top of old, and if so, how thick, should I use wire mesh, and is there a certain way to ensure the new concrete bonds to the old and doesn't crack over time? I can imagine the joint on the front edge of the porch cracking, which would be visible and unsightly. Maybe it would be better to cover the new porch in brick? It's only an 8' x 7' porch, so perhaps it's better to have the entire thing torn out and replaced. I'm stretching my budget though, so I need robe concious of the cost. BTW, 1/4 of the porch will be a new pour because a section had to be removed to form/pour the new stem wall for the garage.

Here's a pic of what I'm dealing with. Again, the idea is to have the new walkway high enough that it is a bit above grade yet low enough to have a step up to the porch while still sloping away. There is an 8" step-up into the house, so I can spare a couple inches and ideally make the step-up from walkway to porch equal to the step-up from porch to house.

Old 11-10-17, 02:57 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Here is what I am dealing with. The grade around the porch and left side of house still needs to be built up a couple inches, and the level of the garage slab is about 2-1/2" below the porch surface. To get a 4" min step-up to the porch, I'd have to slope the walkway downward right to left while also sloping away from the house for drainage. If I thicken the porch, then I could keep the walkway level from right to left and only slope it forward.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: