Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

paint for concrete front steps

CAL

11-10-17, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)  
paint for concrete front steps

I want to retouch the exterior concrete front entrance steps, which are structurally sound but look a bit worn out (as in the image), by leveling the surface, priming and painting. What would be a good product for filling shallow (1/2" or so) deeps and worn out patches on horizontal concrete surfaces? Also any suggestions for the primer and the paint? Would appreciate any suggestion! Best wishes, h.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-10-17, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)  
IMO a concrete stain is better to use than paint. It doesn't require a primer and while it will wear away over time - it won't peel. I'd avoid patching the concrete, thin layers are prone to come loose.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

11-10-17, 04:37 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Concrete needs to breathe. I don't recommend any sealer, paint or stain.

CAL

11-10-17, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Appreciate the responses! I hope there is a way to make the old concrete steps look better. Would all those self-leveling concretes and concrete epoxy coatings not work for some reason on exterior steps? I have heard of concrete resurfacing and wanted to know if this is something I could use here.

11-11-17, 05:38 AM   #5 (permalink)  
I would clean them with a gas powered pressure washer first. That may be all that's needed.

CAL

11-11-17, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)  
That may be all that's needed.
Well, apparently not. The stupid owner (me) still wants to have it resurfaced.

Found on TOH:
In the past, when a concrete patio or driveway started to show serious signs of aging, using a jackhammer or bringing in a bulldozer were the only repair options. Today there are more practical alternatives.
They say that some polymer fortified concrete mixes might be right for the job.

NY

11-11-17, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)  
Are you feeling ambitious? Do a web search for DuRock's Jewelstone product/process. I've really wanted to try it, but have been too busy with other projects.
BTW. That's a beautiful door.

11-12-17, 04:59 AM   #8 (permalink)  
I compare the art of resurfacing the stoop to that of a drywall skim coat. If you want to take a shot at it, Ace has a topping mix. I would use a bonding agent. It's getting cold here. What's the temp there?

CAL

11-12-17, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)  
Thanks for all the info! Donato_, It's 60-65F during the day and around 50F at nights for the next week or two. Yes, topping mix is something I was thinking about, should be a straightforward project. SturdyNail, DuRock's Jewelstone coat sounds tempting: resurfacing and custom colored texture at the same time. Can one see/buy DuRock's Jewelstone in the US?

I can only claim credit for the sidelight; it's stained red oak. The door was from a clearance sale in HD.

11-13-17, 06:04 AM   #10 (permalink)  
It's warm enough to do the job.

Search this Thread