Filling gap in stucco

Old 12-10-17, 12:38 PM
Filling gap in stucco

I recently had my roof's underlayment replaced and elevated battens installed. Due to the elevated batten, the roofers shifted the wood drip edge up higher on the fascia board.<br />
<br />
There's now a gap around the fascia board where my garage roof ties in to the house. I stuck a nail in the gap, and it's about 1.25 inches deep. I'm planning to patch it, but wanted to verify that I'm doing it right.<br />
<br />
I'm planning to use Quikrete premixed stucco patch, and just push it into the gap around the fascia and flashing. Is there anything I need to do for waterproofing, like run a bead of caulk between the flashing and stucco?<br />
<br />
Thanks

Attached Images       
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-17, 12:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd probably just use caulking for the entire repair. It's always a good idea to caulk where the wood meets the stucco.

Old 12-10-17, 02:32 PM
Regular caulk or a stucco repair caulk?

I thought about that, but the gap seemed kind of big. There was a similar, but smaller, spot elsewhere where the roofers did just caulk it in.

Sashco stucco repair caulk looks like it'll handle up to 3 inches wide, so that wouldn't be a problem. I'd just need to get some filler rope into the gap.

Thanks for the input.

Old 12-11-17, 02:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A stucco/mortar caulk would look marginally better than regular painter's caulk, mainly because of the texture it provides. I've always just stuffed in a backer rod [if needed] and used a quality latex caulk. Once painted it will look ok.