Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Grinding concrete wall surface

NJ

01-16-18, 06:51 PM   #1  
Grinding concrete wall surface

I need to mount a few studs to the interior basement wall (cinder block w/a mortar parge over it). The parge is very uneven and I need the studs very straight.

I want to grind the surface where the studs will mount but only have a 4-1/2 inch angle grinder and concrete wheel. It's very slow.

Is there a better way to do this? Something I can rent? A magic wheel I don't know about?

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

01-16-18, 07:26 PM   #2  
Are you using a cup wheel?

One would usually find the high point on the concrete... use that to establish the plane of the studs... and shim everything out to that level, rather than grind the concrete all plumb.

What exactly are you building, and is there some reason you can't shim the studs?

NJ

01-17-18, 05:13 AM   #3  
It's a basement bathroom and the one shower wall is the foundation wall. So for the tiles to look right, the wall has to be dead-on plumb, just like the wood framed adjacent walls. The shower drain is in the concrete floor on center already, which didn't account for the parge bow outwards, so building the wall out w/shims means it's off-center and that YOU have to deal with my wife.

Cup wheel - I'll look into that. Thanks.

Group Moderator

NE

01-17-18, 05:59 AM   #4  
Sounds like the wife should be grinding it then.

I'd be running the studs through a table saw or at least scribe them rather than grind an entire wall down.

VA

01-17-18, 08:21 AM   #5  
I agree rippping the studs to 2x3s and avoid grinding the wall altogether would be the approach I would use.

ME

01-17-18, 08:28 AM   #6  
I use a 4" diamond cup and it makes quick work of the concrete walls, HOWEVER, the dust is horrendous.

But the diamond cup will do the job.

Bud

NJ

01-17-18, 08:56 AM   #7  
Thanks guys. Just grinding where the studs contact.

Search this Thread