Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Any risk of adding a french drain (interceptor trench) around my house?

Non-US

01-21-18, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Any risk of adding a french drain (interceptor trench) around my house?

Firstly, I have no reason or indication that the weeping tile around my house has any issues. Nothing inside the house indicates anything is wrong, and the weeping tile discharge pipe flows wonderfully with rain.

I am planning a back yard project, to cut down some trees, do some grading/levelling, put down a layer of stone or something, build a stone fire pit, that sort of thing. However, the back side of my house gets soggy with rain, the sloping is towards my house, and the area that we live in is clay country. Lots of it. My septic field is 'guarded' with an interceptor trench that is clean and clear of growth, and water flows freely out of its drain pipe.

So, I have been thinking of adding a 2nd interceptor trench, further back on my property so that my backyard gets less soggy, and drains & dries quicker. But I have wondered, if somehow this would cause issues. Really I am wondering if there is risk somehow that this could be detrimental to the backside basement of the house. My basement is below grade, and is poured concrete. Like causing the soil (mostly clay) between my house and the new trench to dry out, contract, settle and compact more, and with rain would it then expand and cause increased hydraulic pressure against the basement wall? Could the drier soil promote root growth of the large trees nearby to search for what was once more plentiful water. Etc, etc. See what I mean?

Whaddaya think guys? Am I just being paranoid and its green lights all the way, or are these real risks that I need to be aware of and mitigate accordingly? Anything I missed?

Last edited by Bob_Plumb; 01-21-18 at 10:48 AM. Reason: typo

Sponsored Links

MI

01-21-18, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Having less water is always a better situation to more.

If the yard is soggy that is an indication of a less than perfect situation and I'd be looking for a solution.

Non-US

01-23-18, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Thanks Marq1.

(Adding filler here so my message is more than 25 characters. )

Search this Thread