Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sidewalk Pour, Frozen Ground

VA

01-26-18, 08:51 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Sidewalk Pour, Frozen Ground

I'm having a new sidewalk poured tomorrow and need some advice on how to ensure everything goes smoothly and the pour is not compromised by the cold weather. It has been in the teens and below for the past several weeks, so the ground is frozen solid. Temps will be in the lower 30s for the next two days, then will drop to the teens and 20s for the following several nights. At a minimum I asked that they thaw the ground and use heated curing blankets to cover the fresh concrete for at least 3 days. Any other precautions they should take?

Sponsored Links

MN

01-26-18, 09:10 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Do a search for ACI 306-Standard Specification for Cold Weather Concreting and follow that. Do not allow concrete to be placed of frozen ground. Depending on how far down the frost goes, it may take a long time to thaw. Dig down in a couple places to ensure it's thawed all the way down.

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

01-26-18, 09:11 AM   #3 (permalink)  
The heating blankets should have been on the ground the entire week.

VA

01-26-18, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)  
I was afraid of that. Having them tear out the old sidewalk and pour a new one tomorrow doesn't sound wise at all. I will tell them to hold off. I was hoping they could lay heating blankets for 24 hours and that would suffice, but it doesn't sound that way. Glad I asked!

Group Moderator

NC

01-26-18, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)  
You have been having problems since day one with this whole project. I would not press my luck trying to get the pour done on Saturday.

VA

01-26-18, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)  
You have been having problems since day one with this whole project. I would not press my luck trying to get the pour done on Saturday.
I agree. They are the ones pushing it. I told them not to do it. The builder just emailed me and said they removed all of the original sidewalk and the ground isn't frozen underneath. 2+ weeks of 20s, teens, and single digits and the clay soil underneath isn't frozen???

Super Moderator

CANADA

01-26-18, 05:44 PM   #7 (permalink)  
Pound a 4 inch nail where the pour will be and insert a thermometer probe into the hole and see what it reads.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

VA

01-29-18, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)  
They went ahead and poured the walkway on Saturday. They drove a stake in the ground to show me the soil wasn't frozen, even though surface temperature of the stone base was right at 32 degrees. I imagine the only reason the soil wasn't frozen is because it was protected by the old walkway and several inches of mulch around the perimeter. I hit the area with a torch for a few minutes until the truck arrived and was able to get the stone up to about 45 degrees. The ambient temperature made it up to over 60 on Saturday and it was sunny, and the nighttime temperature was 47. I laid an insulating blanket on top that evening, which I plan on leaving in place at least until Friday. It's going to be a high of 46 today and 30 tonight, then high of 36 tomorrow and low of 19. I think it should have reached 500 psi by now, so hopefully I'm in the clear.

Oh, they started finishing with their steel floats right after they screeded the concrete, then waited about 30 minutes, finished some more, waited 20 minutes, then applied a broom finish and immediately took off the forms . Basically did the complete opposite of everything I have heard/read/seen about proper concrete placement. I'll be sure the 2-year warranty explicitly states that defects (cracking, spalling, crumbling) are covered.

VA

02-10-18, 08:48 AM   #9 (permalink)  
Well, it's been two weeks, raining off and on, freezing overnight temps and it isn't looking good...

Attached Images

Search this Thread