Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2nd Floor Concrete limitations

02-08-18, 11:16 PM   #1  
2nd Floor Concrete limitations

Hello, I wish to determine the weight limit of 900 cases of wine in 2nd floor commercial building built in the 60's. Wine is located along the beams and extend about 3 feet out from each of 5 pillars. Concrete is about 5" thick with a wooden floor over the slab which the wine sits on. This building is located in Japan so I don't know the code specs or if it is reinforced rebar, (sp). Current total weight is about 30,000lbs over 625 sqft. and focused on two areas of 60sqft at 13,600lbs and 65sqft at 16,000lbs. I calculate aprox. 250lbs/sqft of dead weight. The dashed lines are 8" thick concrete support beams under the floor. Are these weights within concrete parameters? If so , how much can i increase in weight. Thanks for your help on this.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links

MN

02-09-18, 03:24 AM   #2  
I think you need a local engineer since you will only get "seat-of the pants"opinions on a building in Japan that much has more severe and variable seismic loads than other areas. A building with a concrete frame and wood floors is a real challenge.

Also you do not assess the suitability of a building for a current specific loading patterns since they can change over time as the use does.

Dick

Group Moderator

NC

02-09-18, 05:46 AM   #3  
I agree, you need an Engineer and specifically someone who can examine your building in person. Nobody over the Internet can tell you if it will hold or not. And just knowing the thickness of the concrete doesn't help. Of major importance is the reinforcing inside the concrete and how the floor is attached to the walls.

02-11-18, 07:24 PM   #4  
Thanks Guys, yes i'm having an engineer come by today in fact. Will follow up with a Japanese guy as well. MS

GA

02-24-18, 05:06 AM   #5  
why not just pay dick to do it ? he's used to travelling :-)

Search this Thread