Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Exterior foundation Moisture

02-11-18, 11:25 AM   #1  
Exterior foundation Moisture

Took some pictures of the foundation today as it was damp and about to rain. Recently moved to the home and am not sure if this is easily cleanable.

Should I be concerned? Could someone explain what the black parts could be from?

Thank you!

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

02-11-18, 11:30 AM   #2  
Kind of looks like the tar that is normally sprayed on a poured foundation wall as waterproofing. And someone didn't keep the spray fully below grade, they sprayed it too high. (Looks like someone tried to remove parts of it)

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-12-18, 02:51 AM   #3  
If it was mold you'd be able to clean it off with bleach/water but if it's tar overspray [looks like it to me too] you'd have to paint it to make it go away.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

02-12-18, 10:01 AM   #4  
Posted By: marksr If it was mold you'd be able to clean it off with bleach/water but if it's tar overspray [looks like it to me too] you'd have to paint it to make it go away.
Any recommended brand/type of paint?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-12-18, 10:30 AM   #5  
Most any exterior latex paint will do a decent job, the better ones take longer to fade.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

GA

02-24-18, 04:25 PM   #6  
' loxon ' is sher-wms ' paint ' for stucco which is, largely, white cement,,, in our experience, it far outlasts any other similar product,,, not as cheap as latex however

Search this Thread